Adding electricity to the loft

flashbang - if that airing cupboard is in one of the bathroom zones then you are not allowed to run cables through it to get to other areas.

Haven't heard that one, but I is probably wrong....what about immersion heater switches?.....(enclosed within a cupboard...maybe)

I ran in a new supply from the board to the loft and installed a 2nd board, found it easier, and its there just in case you need to expand.......

Sponsored Links
From here

"In every zone, the only wiring permitted is that feeding equipment in that zone, or where it must pass through that zone to reach another unless it is buried deeper than 50mm from the surface. For example, wiring to fixed equipment in Zone 0 may have to pass through Zones 1, 2 and 3 to reach its destination. Zone 2 may be used as a route for wiring needed to feed equipment in Zone 1 below the bath tub or shower or shower basin.

In other words, the zones in a shower or bathroom must not be used as routes for through wiring that feeds other services outside the area."

But the airing cupbord is outside the zones.....

Yo - I did say that the rule about cables only applied if the airing cupboard is within a zone. Yours might be outside, but we don't know about flashbang's

Sponsored Links
The airing cupboard is out of the zones......not just in mine.....

Ban all sheds

Not wiring in cavities is new to me? Got any links??

Well - that drives a horse & cart thru the regs, doesn't it?

Want an ordinary light switch on the wall inside the shower? Put it in a little cupboard.

Want a shaver socket next to the bath so that you can use an electric razor whilst you wallow in the water? Put it in a little cupboard.

Madness.

Oh yes........

Writing up a report today where the fuseboard was installed within the airing cupboard in the bathroom....but as its not in a zone it dont matter.....but I did put on the report that its not good electrical practice just to cover us.......(did try to phone NIC technical help line....an hour later.....still on hold....gave up and ripped the regs apart looking).....

I Hate Electrics......... :evil: :mad: :cry:

No, it's nowhere near the bathroom.......
For fear of electricity anywhere near my bathroom, I use only candles in there. Our extraction is a pair of modified bellows that can be pumped whilst sitting on the toilet, and in the winter, extra candles are brought in for warmth..... I like to stay safe. I haven't died once!! :rolleyes:

What's the danger with running a cable in the cavity? I would have thought it was much safer than chasing it into a wall, and covering it over for the next poor s** to drill through it.!!
Flashbang.

Straight from the horses mouth......

I have contacted the IEE this morning to check a few of the disputed regs seen here.

1. Airing cupboards in bathrooms are effectively outside any zones. See reg 601-02-01.

2. It is permissible in zone three to install rocker switches, including a light switch. You can even install a washing machine in zone three (or in an airing cupboard) as long as it is fed through an rcd and fused connection unit. However, socket outlets are not permitted anywhere in a bathroom.

3. The IEE has no problem with cables in cavities. However, the NICEIC are not keen, saying there may be strain on connections as the cable is unsupported. The IEE also say that more modern pvc grades are less susceptible to reaction with foam insulation.

4. The regs on bonding say that there is only a need to bond extraneous conductive parts (a conductive part liable to introduce a potential, generally an earth potential and not forming part of the electrical installation). It can be argued that if copper pipes are joined together with plastic joints and connectors, they cease to be extraneous conductive parts.

In the case of a plastic water main, main earth bonding must be carried out where the plastic joins the copper (on the metal!!)

Further to my previous thread "adding electricity to a loft" i have 2 options open to me if i am to go ahead with the work without doing cosmetic damage to the house that i certainly can't afford at the minute. They are as follows firstly i have a double plug socket about 6" from a walk in wardrobe which i may be able to drill to from inside the wardrobe to get the cable from the loft in, if i can do that this plug socket is already a spur i believe as it only has one cable going in to it is that acceptable bearing in mind the cable i spur off that socket will be feeding a further 2 double sockets. The other option which i'm sure you wont like is to run the cable from the sockets in the loft to the same point but with a plug in the end and plug it into one of those resettable trip switches to make it safe, Any ideas?

what you are proposing is to spur off a spur, not allowed (unless you fit an fcu etc etc)

no one says you couldn't plug in an extension lead, (kept in loft) but for all the work and effort you are going to be doing for the loft it would be better if you were to put a socket or two in on the ring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back