Adding new bedside lights to existing layout.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i am wondering if someone can advice me on the supplied drawing. As it stands the only thing in place is the power in, ceiling rose and single switch. And i am unsure if this layout is correct. I only want to run the cable ready for the sparky as hes away at the moment for me to ask and i want to plasterboardthe walls.
I am unsure if a 3core from ceiling rose to triple switch is also needed or if i can just power from the 3core cable.

Please ignore the 2core in the image ive provided as ive mislabled it as its infact a 1.5mm twin earth lighting cable.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20191227_183635.jpg
    20191227_183635.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All core numbers will be excluding the CPC(earth wire).

1mm² will be more than adequate throughout - smaller is acceptable if you use flexible cables.

upload_2019-12-27_19-18-23.png

Also here is a diagram for two-gang bed lights.
Substitute your supply from the lighting for the fused switch.

upload_2019-12-27_19-22-31.png

Thank you for the response much appreciated i am unable to work a spur and need to get the feed from the existing light circuit. I was wondering if this next layout with an additional 2core and earth feed be more acceptable.
20191227_194111.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You cannot use 2 core cable, it must contain a CPC(earth wire).

Flat cable is called twin & earth or 3 core and earth.
Flexible cable is called 3 core, 4 core, 5 core etc. including the CPC.

You cannot use 2 core cable, it must contain a CPC(earth wire).

Flat cable is called twin & earth or 3 core and earth.
Flexible cable is called 3 core, 4 core, 5 core etc. and includes the CPC.
When i say 2core i think im confusing things. And misunderstanding the cable. I mean to say 1.5mm twin earth lighting cable which includes the earth cable that needs the sleeving and 3 core and earth for the 2way switches only.

You need at least a 25mm backbox if not 30 in that tripple switch with all them cables doing in.

It helps to use 1mm.
But if you already have 1.5mm

Thanks again andy, ive alreading fitted 35mm back boxes and i do indeed already have 1.5mm cable thats the main reason why I'd prefer to use that size.

All core numbers will be excluding the CPC(earth wire).

1mm² will be more than adequate throughout - smaller is acceptable if you use flexible cables.

View attachment 179503

Also here is a diagram for two-gang bed lights.
Substitute your supply from the lighting for the fused switch.

View attachment 179504

Just out of curiosity as im not a sparky but a carpenter, the 2nd picture you gave with the spur feed i was wondering if the wiring be the same if the spur feed was replaced with a feed from another light / ceiling rose?

Just out of curiosity as im not a sparky but a carpenter, the 2nd picture you gave with the spur feed i was wondering if the wiring be the same if the spur feed was replaced with a feed from another light / ceiling rose?
Yes, I did say substitute your feed from the lighting circuit for the fused switch on the diagram.

You just have to make sure there is a supply Neutral available for the new lights.

Yes, I did say substitute your feed from the lighting circuit for the fused switch on the diagram.

You just have to make sure there is a supply Neutral available for the new lights.

The only thing that still makes me unsure with that picture is that both the 2way switch wiring is unclear as to which points are l1 l2 and common.

The only thing that still makes me unsure with that picture is that both the 2way switch wiring is unclear as to which points are l1 l2 and common.
The point of the triangle is the COM, the other two are L1 and L2; it doesn't matter which is which; it is up to you to decide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back