Adding outdoor light to existing circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to install an outdoor light next to my back door. There is already a single switch inside the door for my hall light. Would i be able to replace this switch with a double and just link the live and neutrals from the hall light to the second switch to power the outside light?

Sponsored Links
It is extremely doubtful if you have a neutral at the switch. You almost certainly have a live and switched live plus earth, Red, Black and Green/Yellow.

I am trying to install an outdoor light next to my back door. There is already a single switch inside the door for my hall light. Would i be able to replace this switch with a double and just link the live and neutrals from the hall light to the second switch to power the outside light?
If you don't have a live and neutral at the switch and you still want to operate the outside light from that new (double gang) switch then....
You will need to replace your existing 2 core and earth with a three core and earth bringing live, switch live, neutral and earth to the new switch.
Then in gang one put your live into C your switch live into L1 and your earth into the back box. Put your neutral in a terminal block. Run a small piece of insulated cable from your gang one C to gang 2 C terminals.
Then run 2 core and earth from your new switch to the new outside light.
Put the live into gang 2 L1, your neutral into the neutral terminal block and earth into the back box.
Connect the outside light to the appropriate L, N and earth terminals.
Simples ;)

Ok. Thanks guys. Don't know what i was thinking there. Of course there wont be a neutral in the switch. :oops: I just wanted to try and get the job done with as little disruption as possible. I think solar might be the answer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back