Adding Radiators to existing system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am considering adding 2 extra radiators to my existing house. One in the conservatory and an extra one in the kitchen. I have a Potterton Performa 24 ECO He Condensing Combi Boiler which I believe has a 25.2kW Output and a 9.8 l/min flow rate. The existing system is plumbed with 10mm Hep2O polypipe. There are currently 9 rads around the house. I would appreciate if anyone could advise if the Boiler and system should cope OK?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Cross Thread. What are the considerations you are thinking of with regard to the layout? Are you thinking of just the practicality, location of pipes, length of pipes etc.?

1. If you put a radiator in a conservatory I believe it has to be on its own zone.
2. When you say the system is piped in 10 mm microbore, do you mean all of it, or just the visible pipes leading into the radiators. I'd be very surprised if there isn't a "spine" of 22 mm pipework feeding the system, with 10 mm to each radiator, perhaps off a manifold.
3. If the system really is piped wholly in microbore, I'd question its ability to cope with additional radiators, as the pipework probably couldn't shift the heat at a sensible flow rate.
4. If there is a spine, you would be well advised to run new radiators from that spine, not try and piggy back off existing radiators.
5. A rule of thumb for radiators is an average of 1.5 kW each, suggesting that your current load is around 14 kW. If so, this leaves plenty of boiler capacity for the additions.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments Oldbuffer. You are correct that the core system has a 'spine' of 22mm and 10mm 'spurs' feed off to individual rads. I'll bear in mind your comments about feeding off the spine and not piggy backing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back