Adding socket to consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm building a work bench in the garage and would like to add some sockets to it. There is a separate small consumer unit in the garage and the bench just happens to be right underneath it.

Can I just add another socket in from the bottom to the one already used
20171212_121756.jpg
for sockets? (circled)
20171212_121756.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Circuits are connected to the top of the MCB.
There is no RCD in that consumer unit, which any additional sockets will require.

Is it possible to add another RCD alongside the ones there currently? Sorry I have no experience with consumer units but trying to learn. Thanks

show us the CU (presumably the main house one) that supplies your garage. Possibly the circuit is RCD protected there.

In your little garage CU, the main switch could be changed for an RCD. Its been a long time (over 20 years) since new sockets that could reasonably be expected to be used with outdoor equipment (such as lawnmowers, car tools) had to be RCD protected.

If that MCB already supplies one or more sockets, it might be preferable to alter or reroute the existing circuit cable to add more sockets along it. Be aware that the MCB is 16Amp, so you will only be able to run one large appliance, such as a fan heater, off it, or a larger number of small appliances.

Sponsored Links
That question displays such a total lack of knowledge of the basics of circuit wiring that you should not be attempting any sort of electrical work.

At the end of the day its pretty simple stuff eh. Like I said I'm learning, everyone including you had to at some point, I assume?

In your little garage CU, the main switch could be changed for an RCD. Its been a long time (over 20 years) since new sockets that could reasonably be expected to be used with outdoor equipment (such as lawnmowers, car tools) had to be RCD protected.

No need what so ever to put a RCD in the garage. It is already protected by the one in the house.

I wonder what that interloping Wylex B40's doing there - electrician didn't have a blanking plate, perhaps? :)

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I can just connect the live into the top of the current 'socket' MCD in the garage consumer unit?

Just to clarify if I was to install another MCD in the garage consumer unit I could have another separate circuit for the new socket?

Also do you guys have a list of what the used twin and earth sizes should be used for different applications?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I can just connect the live into the top of the current 'socket' RCD in the garage consumer unit?

Just to clarify if I was to install another RCD in the garage consumer unit I could have another separate circuit for the new socket?

Also do you guys have a list of what the used twin and earth sizes should be used for different applications?

Thanks
Turn it off first, but yes live in the top, neutral in the neutral bar, and CPC in the earth bar.

RCD is the wider thing in your main cu where it says RCD protected circuits, MCB are the small switches one for each circuit.
Cable sizing is not necessarily trivial, but generally 2.5mm for socket circuits will do 20a, or 32a as a ring, and lighting was historically done as 1.5 but often now as 1.0mm.
There's a good chance your sockets MCB in the garage unit could be increased, but without knowing the cable routing there may well be a good reason for it being like that.
It doesn't look like you have any spare ways in the garage board, but you could do other things to get around the problem, possibly including changing the breaker to 20a+ and using a 13a fcu to run the existing socket circuit plus the new sockets in parallel. But that would be a job for an electrician.

Thanks John D for the great tips, knowledge and the time it took to reply. Much appreciated. I had just realised my mistake calling MCB RCD's and edited my post. At least now I have a little knowledge when I speak to an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back