Adding wall ties after

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I made a booboo. I've not put wall ties on every course around doors and windows. Our building regs wants them in.

The drill-in types are horrifically expensive. That leaves me with angle grinding mortar out to slide them in and repoint OR bending the ties and screw at an angle.

Do I have any other options?

Thanks for your thoughts

Sponsored Links
There are such things as hammer in helix spiral ties, but not being a builder or structural engineer, I'm afraid I have no idea as to their suitability, performance.

dansleeth, good evening.

OK yes if you need 100 or so remedial ties the cost is "high"

Can i suggest you phone around all the local builders merchants and see if you can purchase 5 / 7 individual ties??

Ken

Sponsored Links
If you have a 100 mm cavity, cut some ends off wall ties leaving you with the middle bit of a wall tie just a couple of mm wider than your cavity. Wedge these middle bits in the appropriate place.

this will have no structural value but achieve the perfect look. Then just hope your wall was built nice and strong:whistle:

Thank you for your responses. I have blocks on both leaves with a 100mm cavity, so it is basically 9 courses with 2 doors and a window.

48 ties to add I might have to go to town with a multitool and repoint the ties in place. Nightmare.

Decided to grind my lovely wall enough to get the ties an inch or so away from the edge for the cavity closers. Thanks again for all your responses.

Excuse the mess. First time builder.

MVIMG_20191009_174758~2.jpg

They should be set back 100mm from the jamb reveal so that you have room for your cav' clodgers. Pointing them in after will leave the ties with much reduced structural integrity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back