ADE Concept System Alarm need parts please

breezer said:
actaually 12 years for a burglar alarm makes it ancient think about this, compare it to a tv for example.

Tv on say 6 hours a day thats 42 hours / week
average life 10 years

burglar alarm

on 24/7 (ok its not set, but all tampers, pa & psu are on 24/7) thats 4 times longer than your tv, which means that at 10 years old its the equivilant of a 40 year old tv

Actually I have a Panasonic TV and video upstairs from 1989 and they are still in great condition, better than the new ones asda or tesco are selling.

As for the alarm, YES it might end up in the bin, but not until I'm convinced that I can't fix it.

Thats the thing these days, if something breaks people just replace it, without first trying to fix it.

NOW if I do decide to replace it (stop snigering breezer ;) ) what alarm do you think I should get.

cheers crapday

Sponsored Links
If its just a number button not responding, change the code! :LOL: Seriously. My grandads alarm has two 4's in it. After about 5 years the keypad broke. The no4 had stopped responding.

Good luck getting advice on changing the code though! :LOL:

Thats the thing these days, if something breaks people just replace it, without first trying to fix it.
Life certainly seems that way but try to also look at it from a tradespersons perspective.

Whatever the trade it makes little difference. Customer phones and saying he has a XYZ product that has gone wrong. Repairers now have the conundrum can it be repaired? To which the next question follows - spare parts availability, their cost and timescale getting them. If the trader has built up a reputation he also has to decide how reliable will it be?

These are questions the DIYer dosen't have to consider. His time is free and he has the prospect of saving a few pounds. If the repair doesn't last then what the hell it has probably cost him little so he can go out and replace it anyway.

How would a customer feel if he had to pay trader for a couple of hours attempting to source parts apart from the time actually spent fitting them and the actual cost of the parts? Perhaps not very happy particually if the product failed again shortly afterwards.

It is VERY easy for the cost of a new product, mass produced (maybe in the far east) to be a lot less than than the cost of repairing an item. This is even more the case when the opiginal is fairly old. New technology is better and more reliable than what was produced years ago.

These are no doubt the thoughts that were going through breezers mind when he gave his original advise more so if he has found from experience your alarm, in general, proved unreliable in its working enviroment.

Thanks Alan,
I understand, you guys and breezer know more about alarms than I do and I really do appreciate you help (including breezers).

It is the "SET" button that stopped working. I took the front of the unit and I think I can repair it (for how long no one knows), but I need to go to the Blue Peter wedsite to find the sticky back plastic :LOL: .

If I stick some stick plastic over the front to hold the 1 or 2 broken bits in place the stick the lettering over it, it should work ok. Might not look pretty.

Thanks to all and everyone for there help. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Can I change the hall PIR for a door contact sensor bearing in mind the hall PIR is the PIR that has the time delay for switching off the alarm. If so is it just a mater of re-routing the wire to the door and changing the PIR or is it more involved.

The reason for this is the cats. Is there a better something that I can change to instead.

cheers crapday.

stick to changing it ot a door contact.

if anyone says have a pet detector dont believe / trust them

repairing your button wont be easy

behind the buttons is what does indeed look like sticky back plastic, but no sticky
there are two layers of plastic with a track on each, where a button is there is a spot.
when you press a button this two spots (one on each layer) touch, making a ciruit.

your problem is the back of the buttons (in most cases) has a little dot that aligns with the spot, get it wrong , it wont work.

AlanE is 100% correct in what he says.

as for when you give up and bin it, its your choice. see previous posts

Hi all, I took the front of the keypad. All the contacts worked on the inside of the unit. I took the membrane of the front of the unit and some wee plastic lugs came away, i used strong sticky plastic as a new membrane and fixed the wee lugs. Printed out a new front cover and stuck that on the front. Put it all back together and it works.

Don't know how long it will last. I would love to be able to afford a new alarm but at the moment it's way down the list.

cheers all.

its only way down the list untill it goes wrong (like most things)

get a new one now while yours is still on its last legs

imagine this

going on hols alarm set button doesnt work, who gets to stay behind?

breezer said:
going on hols alarm set button doesnt work, who gets to stay behind?
We dont have an alarm. Our house has very good perimeter security, as should everybodys house. So why even ponder the above hypothesis?

no disrespect, but as you don't have a alarm you wont understand.
(but i will try)

people who have an alarm often get used to seting / unseting it, (ok some only set it at holiday times) but when it doesnt set they no lomger have peace of mind, hence the question

TBH my wife uses it more as I'm night shift. I never had an alarm at my old house and though nothing about it, but when I moved in to this house and it had the alarm I started to get used to it. I have not used it for a while (due to the above), but now it works again it will be used.

My external garage stores a lot of gear so it's good to have that alarmed again.

The only way in to my house is through the front and back doors as the window openings are to small, my 8 year old would struggle.

I've just redecorated and don't want the mess that a new alarm would cause as I do not want the wireless type, to unreliable I am lead to believe.

Cheers gary.

PS on this alarm the SET button is only used to shorten the arm time from about 40 seconds to about 10. Stops all that beep beep beeping. :eek:

wireless are indeed not very good, but who said anything about mess?

you can just change the panel and keypad, keep everything else

crapday said:
Its such cheap junk that in 12 years I have never had 1 false alarm and in the 3 years before that my parents never had a false alarm. Does anyone else know where I can buy cheap junk because if thats cheap junk I want a cheap junk car and a cheap junk house.

I'm clad I never got the same expensive alarm as my friend, he gets false alarms every time there's a bad storm.

I come here for help, not to be told what I have is rubbish. Without trying to offend anyone, if you cant help then please don't post. :D

This is a good site with a lot of experienced people willing to give others help. Please keep up the good work.

So, no false alarms and you know it works perfectly because it never let you down in 12 years.

Nice to see you still like to have a pop against anyone who deigns to actually know more than you.

breezer said:
you can just change the panel and keypad, keep everything else

I asked that question on another forum and got shot down in flames. Someone compared it to fixing a parachute and its cords!!!

I might just do that then. It'll keep the mess down and I know I can come here for help when everything goes wrong :cry:

Cheers Gary.

Hello Gary, we have bought a house that has one of these alarms and no manuals at all. Could you perhaps tell me how to change the alarm code.

Your assistance in this regard would be much appreciated.

Regards, Lydia

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back