Adhesive and screws for picnic bench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m planning to build a picnic bench out of 6x2’s and wanted to check on a couple of things please.

Firstly, are decking screws (the green ones?) what people recommend as that’s what I’ve seen being used in online videos?

Secondly, which adhesive can I use to further strengthen joints, etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The green decking screws arent as good as stainless - but have you considered using stainless coach bolts?
For adhesive, consider Cascamite.
John :)

Thanks for the prompt response.
I will use the coach bolts in places but will still need screws for the tops etc. Are stainless screws much more expensive than decking? I can’t see any stainless screws on toolstation site!

Also, is there a tube adhesive I can use as it will be easier with the gun? Thanks again

Sponsored Links
For adhesive, consider the Gorilla range of products - the majority of which claim to be waterproof.
Regarding screws, Ive used stainless screws by Spax - from Screwfix if I recall.
Most screws have a plated finish which is better than standard but still doesnt compete with genuine stainless stuff.
Id also consider more timber treatment, even if you are using tanalised timber for the construction.

i never use glue as it allows component replacement easily
i had loads off furniture bolts you know the ones with a screw thread and a sunken 5mm hex head and they work well with a something like 4mm countersink and about 80-90mm long
spade bit head size +1-2mm x5mm deep to countersink the head
still going strong 5 years on
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hex+furniture+screw+bolts&t=ffsb&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images&iai=http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/271215169861-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

should add i didnt buy them i just recycle loads off pine flat pack and had a few dozen off various types in boxes

Last edited:
The bench will have structural integrity from its design not glue, spax wood screws very good.

Blup

For adhesive, consider Cascamite.
I have to say, John, that whilst Cascamite is an excellent glue it does require dry timber and nice tight joints to work. Not sure if the chemicals used in tanalising would affect it, but tanalised timbers certainly don't make for accurate joints (as they are often wet when I deal with them so they don't cut well). For an exterior piece I'd be more inclined to think in terms of using tanalised softwood and bolting/screwing together (including the tops) with stainless steel fastenings

Are stainless screws much more expensive than decking? I can’t see any stainless screws on toolstation site!
Stainless steel screws are certainly available at Screwfix

Id also consider more timber treatment, even if you are using tanalised timber for the construction.
Agreed! Cut ends always need end protection - the tanalising process is only skin deep (about 3 to 4mm)

Thanks for all the help guys. I wanted to respond to some of the points above and ask some follow up questions too please.

The bench will have structural integrity from its design not glue, spax wood screws very good.
Here's broadly the design that I intend to follow. There will be some aesthetic differences and I am still checking on heights of legs and seats, etc. What do you think?
upload_2019-3-20_13-38-41.png

I will use stainless screws as per advice above along with coach bolts.

Is there a consensus on the glue as all the online videos are using glue and screws/bolts. If yes, is the Gorilla tube my best bet?

I have some endseal that I can use for the cut ends. Any recommendations on a final finish that gives the table an elegant look?

Thanks again

I have to say, John, that whilst Cascamite is an excellent glue it does require dry timber and nice tight joints to work. Not sure if the chemicals used in tanalising would affect it, but tanalised timbers certainly don't make for accurate joints (as they are often wet when I deal with them so they don't cut well). For an exterior piece I'd be more inclined to think in terms of using tanalised softwood and bolting/screwing together (including the tops) with stainless steel fastenings
I couldnt agree more! I recommended Cascamite because its what is recommended for boat building so once its cured its very permanent.

Stainless steel screws are certainly available at Screwfix

Agreed! Cut ends always need end protection - the tanalising process is only skin deep (about 3 to 4mm)

Looks a good solid design - I wold think coach bolts for the vertical pieces and screws for the horizontal boards.

Blup

Are there any suggestions on a product for the final finish please? And can this be immediately applies to the treated timber? Thanks again

Have used Sadolin extra durable woodstain to lasting effect.

Blup

Thanks @blup. Can I apply this immediately on to the currently treated timber? I know with my decking last year, I had strong recommendations to leave it for 6 months before I applied any finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back