admin passwords

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help get my laptop running - we have loaded windows xp pro onto it but it keeps asking for the admin password which we don't have

Sponsored Links
If you've loaded Windows, you would have set the password (Assuming local password). You can either re-install or use something like this to reset the password.

What does the screen you are looking at look like? Is it black with white writing? Or is it a blue login screen?

What happens immediately before you reach whatever screen you are at where the password is asked for? Do you see the Windows XP loading screen (with the animated blue bars)? Or does it quickly go to the password request?

What were you doing immediately before this happened? What did you do to install XP? Did the computer work prior to you doing anything?

Good point, it could be a BIOS password. I had another thought, are you still loading Windows and got to the point where it asks your to SET a password? It wouldn't be the first time that's happened :)

Sponsored Links
What does the screen you are looking at look like? Is it black with white writing? Or is it a blue login screen?

What happens immediately before you reach whatever screen you are at where the password is asked for? Do you see the Windows XP loading screen (with the animated blue bars)? Or does it quickly go to the password request?

What were you doing immediately before this happened? What did you do to install XP? Did the computer work prior to you doing anything?

Ok - maybe i should fill in some background , i bought this laptop as a present for my son on ebay, it came from a dealer who had cleaned the hard drive unfortunately he had even removed the operating system so it couldn't load windows . A friend managed to get windows 98 on it and supplied a disc with xp pro to upgrade it . I think the idea was to get it on the net using the 98 and download all the necessary drivers however my children tried to upload the pro straight away and now its stuck where i mentioned originally !
When i power it up i get the normal windows xp loading screen with the animated blue bars and after a couple of seconds it switchs to the log on to windows screen with the user name as administrator and asking for a password - hope that all makes sense

Hmm upgrades; never quite the same and probably an old version. Was it a "Home made" type upgrade? I assume you've clicked OK without a password and it was rejected? What happens if you cancel?

It sounds like the Welcome Screen has been disabled in the Control Panel, probably Fast User Switching too.

Personally, I would get a pucker version of XP, but you could always refer to my first post.

Hmm upgrades; never quite the same and probably an old version. Was it a "Home made" type upgrade? I assume you've clicked OK without a password and it was rejected? What happens if you cancel?

It sounds like the Welcome Screen has been disabled in the Control Panel, probably Fast User Switching too.

Personally, I would get a pucker version of XP, but you could always refer to my first post.
Tried pressing return with no password but get message saying system could not log you on, make sure your user name and domain are correct then type your password again.
unfortunately i don't have working touch pad or mouse yet ( no drivers) but the cancel button is not lit up

Under the circumstances you describe, it shouldn't need a password, and hitting 'enter' without filling the password field should do it. There's no easy solution...

There are a couple of options. You could try and remove the password (whatever it is) using this:

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

The download is at the bottom of the page, with instructions. It's a bit complicated making the disc, but using it, once you have it, is simplicity itself.

Or this, as mentioned by Igorian:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Which also needs burning to disc as an image file using nero or something similar.

Or you could just start again. Assuming you have nothing on the machine you want to keep, boot from the XP disc to format the hard drive and start again. You don't actually need Windows 98 installed on the computer to use an upgrade disc, but you do need to have a disc/working installation key for Windows 98 - it will ask you for it during the install, and later on it will ask you for the XP key printed on the package as well...

Instructions here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

This would be my favoured solution, because you are starting completely clean. Print them out, and off you go...

Failing this, you could try Linux. It's free! Maybe Ubuntu...

Sponsored Links
Back