Re-installing Windows

Put Windows 10 on. It's just as crap as Windows 8/8.1.

I agree: Windows 10 is crap, mainly because of its attempts (usually successful) to take over my computer! I'd much prefer Windows 7 if I could somehow obtain a free copy.

Even my old Windows 7 laptop surreptitiously downloaded and installed Windows 10 when I wasn't looking!

Sponsored Links
Hi JBR, long time no speak!

I found this:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/seven-perfectly-legal-ways-to-get-windows-7-cheap-or-even-free/
I don't know if any of it is still valid now Win 7 is long gone, but the thing that interested me (and may well interest you too) is that you can set up Win 10 to act like Win 7.
Obviously, it is still Win 10, but may be more to your liking.

Hi SS, I hope you're well. I don't visit General Discussion any more, but I do look at some of the trade sections on most days.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

It's not so much the appearance of W10, as I've become used to that. It's the fact that it demands that it will take over my computer when an 'update' is available. I've found that when that happens my settings and appearance often change and I have to go through re-setting things.

With Windows 7, the computer was far more under my control.

Still, for my old laptop I might have a good look through that link. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Hi Pete

Thanks for all your help. I set the BIOS to boot from the USB stick and it ran part way through, then said it had to restart to continue.
So it restarted then went back to the beginning of the process. It has done this twice now.
No error messages have come up, it just keeps going back to the beginning.

I didn't have the option to format the drives, just one option to install windows but keep all files, or the other "custom" setup, where you get a list of drives and choose one to install to.

Maybe I can't install Win 10 this way?

OK. I have found the Format function.
But it just showed the egg timer briefly then nothing happened.
On continuing the process, it just ran though all the processes in a very quick time, then restarted and began the whole process again.

Stumped!

You can (although I am not sure how!) gain more control over updates, when and indeed even if you update.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3085136/windows/two-ways-to-control-or-stop-windows-10-updates.html

Thanks again, SS.
I'll have a look through that when I have more time.

Actually, I had already tried something similar.
Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services / Windows Update / in Startup Type/Properties, change whatever is set to Disabled.

I found that worked, at least for a time, until Microsoft somehow overrode it. This is the exact reason I am rapidly going off Microsoft. This is my computer, not theirs!

Thanks everybody for help with Win 10 install, particularly Pete.

I eventually managed it and the laptop is now running Win 10.

JB, no worries.;)

Sponsored Links
Back