Adolph Hitler said.

You should be better off in work than on benefits.always.

That I agree on. And if that was the case, the argument of the lazy and/or work shy would not exist!

Benefits should be there for those that need them, short term or long term.

The whole mindset is wrong though, and you have to ask, Why?, Who? Easy to blame the EU though huh?

Sponsored Links
I had tax credits for a while. I was made redundant in 2009 when my wife was expecting our second kid, and then during maternity leave, she was made redundant. I started earning some money working for myself (I was working as much as possible, change of career after the global crash / credit crunch in 2008) but that was not enough and well below the living wage. Tax credits, along with free medication for wife and kids, and child benefit, all allowed us to keep our heads above the water. Without them, it would have been repossession and homelessness. Does that make me a benefit scrounger?

I had tax credits for a while. I was made redundant in 2009 when my wife was expecting our second kid, and then during maternity leave, she was made redundant. I started earning some money working for myself (I was working as much as possible, change of career after the global crash / credit crunch in 2008) but that was not enough and well below the living wage. Tax credits, along with free medication for wife and kids, and child benefit, all allowed us to keep our heads above the water. Without them, it would have been repossession and homelessness. Does that make me a benefit scrounger?

Apparantly yes.

Not in my book though. To me that is what the benefit system is all about.

Sponsored Links
Benefits as a safety net is absolutely justified of course.Benefits as a way of life from 16to 65 when you perfectly able bodied is rippin the f.in p...ss.Please do not tell me they are a tiny minority,,because you are talking bolox.

how many people live on benefits?

There's only around 41.1 million people in the UK between 16 and 64, so that suggests 66% of the population is living full time on benefits.
That's like 2 houses in 3.
I am not convinced it is that high.
According to the Office for National Statistics, there is 1.36 million unemployed, and presumably on benefits. Although, many of these might be short term unemployed.

Are you also counting all pensioners in the 27 million?

There are around 11 million pensioners (people over 65) who by definition are living on benefits.

Who are the over 14.7 million people living on benefits?

There are about 20 million people of pension age.

Life expectancy is dropping, and the NHS is being constrained so will not be able to service their needs as they age, so obviously the government is taking steps to limit the numbers.

In May 2017 there were 20 million DWP Benefit claimants and two thirds of them were of State Pension age.

Only 6.8million of them were of working age.

source
https://assets.publishing.service.g...terly-benefit-stats-summary-november-2017.pdf

So most likely a dumb plumb is deliberately publishing false information with the intent to mislead.

He likes doing that.

Note that he said earlier
....Benefits as a way of life from 16to 65 when you perfectly able bodied...
so he is certainly trying to mislead.

"perfectly able" means he is trying to exclude the disabled, chronically sick, and those dying people who under Ian Smiths regime are told to pull themselves together and get back to work.

Last edited:
There's only around 41.1 million people in the UK between 16 and 64, so that suggests 66% of the population is living full time on benefits.
According to the Office for National Statistics, there is 1.36 million unemployed, and presumably on benefits. Although, many of these might be short term unemployed.

There are around 11 million pensioners (people over 65) who by definition are living on benefits.

Twas a Joke!

I don't put pensioners who have worked all their lives and paid their dues and flogged their nads off,many in bloody hard jobs,in with lazy gits who never worked and twist because they think life and govt owes them.

Sponsored Links
Back