Adverrtising in local paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be trying it next week for 8 week run.

Just wondering what it costs you guys for particular sized adverts etc?

Sponsored Links
Success from advertising in local papers depends on so many factors: distribution - numbers, frequency and where, your business - is it suited for the local paper you choose, the size of the ad, but more importantly the copy-writing

We stopped placing a 1/4 colour column in the weekly local paper - too expensive and no returns. We placed the same ad in a local village directory - filled with news of the villages etc - that is published every month. First month it already has brought us back the cost many times over: our clients live in the villages (affluent) surrounding the large town and this directory is being kept longer in house than a weekly paper.

I agree with WYK, not from the point of view of a tradesman but from a potential customer.
We get an evening paper every weekday and it is usually in the recyle bin within 48 hours.
The weekly paper probably lasts 3 days before going with the evening paper.
We never really take much notice of the adverts in them.

There is a small magazine distributed around the area once a month and it is free. This contains local information and lists things that are happening for the month, so it stays in the house for all the month as a reference. If we need a service from a tradesman, we use this as the first point to find one as they will all be local to the area. Other residents often ask neighbours for the book if their copy has gone missing, so it would appear to be a money spinner for the advertisers.
dave

so it would appear to be a money spinner for the advertisers.
dave
And rightly so if I may say ;) Win-win-win situation here: trader wins, public wins so IMHO the one who puts out the directory is allowed to win too. Better value for money than YP and the likes.

Sponsored Links
Speaking for myself, my current ad covers four lines at a cost of about £45.00 a week. I'm one of 11 or 12 plumbers who advertise regularly. The newspaper also has a seperate heating section carrying another 10 to 12 advertisers. Too many guys, too little work to go around. I don't believe it covers it's costs but you gotta advertise somewhere. Tried yellow pages, thompsons local and even a parish magazine without success. 2007 would have been a complete flop if it had not been for returning customers and recommendations. I have similar low expectations for 2008.

Item removed cos I was messing about and pressed submit button by mistake. :oops:

we use the friday ad. we do a colour photo add, that basically has our logo, large blurb on all we do, contact numbers and web adress. Thats in every week, we can change the wording whenever we want during the run. It covers 3 areas of their printing (which is a very big geographical area) and an internet listing on their site, again with links to our web-page. That costs us just under £20 a week, and the longer we do a run for the cheaper it is.

Have to agree with the guys above, because its a weekley thing people tend to pick it up and actually read it from cover to cover rather than wrapping their chips in it. I couldnt actually calculate the amount of work it has bought us in, but it is far and away the best paid advertising we do

I don't think it works in getting you much immediate response,but like sign writing on your van reminds existing customers and their word of mouth network you exsist and your contact details.You need a long term presence in a rag popular to the area for this so you can always be found.i'm Hastings and the friday ad is the highlight of many peoples week round here people pop to the newsagents and buy a newspaper to justify grabbing their free ad rag.Having said that depends on the competition,my brother's a carpet fitter and theres about two regular guys in there,plumbing and heating has 25+

p.s thermo wealden advertiser is good value if your more east sussex increasing readership and affluent coverage area

thanks for the replies guys, for what it will cost me for the 8 week run its worth a go, I got a mate who does removals and handyman stuff and gets a lot of work from it. I know a few other gas guys in the area who don't advertise in though, so I'll see.

Sponsored Links
Back