i`v taken the plunge

Sponsored Links
imaplumber said:
++++++++++
time-wasting post removed

Mod Rupert
++++++++++
you've just wasted my time Rupee baby get a life for god's sake and some humour to boot!

++++++++++
You used the wrong one of your userids there, mate.

We're all honest and open people on here.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++

Sponsored Links
Perhaps one more thing to consider is that it depends on how you have set yourself up to trade. Sole trader (I'd imagine this is what you have done) Partnership, limted partnership or limited company.

The problem with limited companies WRT to accountancy packages is that a lot of them don't provide payroll facilities, I believe Quicken didn't used to provide any VAT facilities either but that may have changed.

Oh and with a limited comapny you have to have your accounts signed off by an accountant anyway, so you might as well hire one.

FTrooper said:
imaplumber said:
++++++++++
time-wasting post removed

Mod Rupert
++++++++++
you've just wasted my time Rupee baby get a life for god's sake and some humour to boot!

++++++++++
You used the wrong one of your userids there, mate.

We're all honest and open people on here.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++
oh rupert you are such a nerd!

MOD 2

pack it in like now
you have more usernames than anyone else

my finger is hovering over the button bonny lad

Eddie M said:
The problem with limited companies WRT to accountancy packages is that a lot of them don't provide payroll facilities, I believe Quicken didn't used to provide any VAT facilities either but that may have changed.
That's one of the reasons why I prefer MYOB: payroll included, VAT reports on both normal as cash contract. And I still hate Sage50, see here for a comparison between the two.
Another option for payroll is using Able Internet payroll (has facility to send your reports electronically to the Inland Revenue, which brings you - this year - a reward of £ 250.00)

JohnD said:
hermes said:
... if you're any good you won't need to advertise at all before long...

Very good point. Get some professional-looking business cards printed (include any qualifications or memberships) and give several to every satisfied customer, suggest that if they're happy with your work they can keep one handy in case they need you again, and they can also pass one on to a friend who needs a good person.

You will also have more reliable customers when you know them already. You can always be "too busy" to see the moaners and the slow payers.

If you don't include your address and landline telephone number on the card people will think you're an itinerant flybynight. It's worth having a Business phone line (tax deductible) with answering machine so that you don't have to answer it when you're off duty.

Rule 12

NYSoul said:
...I might be able to help.
Do you really mean "help", or "break the fules of the forum and advertise my nephew's services absolutely scott-free"? :rolleyes:

I think the latter Softus

Really sorry if I broke any rules (my fault for not reading them). I only stopped by the site as my boiler was playing up and I googled the problem and your site came up.

I asked for some help and while I was waiting had a nose about in some other topics.

Again, sorry if i broke the rules

Cheers
Matt

No problem Matt as long as you stay within the guidelines.

Regarding Sage, Sage instant accounts IMO would be the more suitable choice, line 50 is way OTT for a sole trader.
Definatly agree with the business cards, get decent ones - but price them up first! I wont post who I get mineoff or I'll get moaned at ! but they are excellent and cheap.
Be careful advertising - again price it up, and try to make a habbit of asking customers where they heard about you so you can monitor it.
Now its YOUR company, you need to be extra careful, especially if your van/car/whatever is all stickered up or you have your logo on clotihing etc, no more giving the 2 fingered salute to idiotic drivers even though they deserve it - that total idiot could be your next customer.

back again
business is really taking off, i was very busy last week. did a install (cylinder, system boiler) a few services here and there one or two break-downs. Earnt a right packet it`s great.
got an combi to install this week and a few little bits here and there. just have to see what comes in. got an advert in 2 papers and its costing loads but it brings the work in, and at the moment i`am trying to build up my customer base.
i was worried when i first started about work comming in... and at one point within the first week i thought i`d made a f**k up starting my own bussiness. i have`nt gone in to this blind. my old college tutor is helping with the business side of thing (pricing, doing the specs..) he worked for B.G for 20 years, and now he`s doing the same thing as me, the guy is a great help and we do installs together (he`s very keen)

So i can do the work and i`am getting stuck in, infact i`am loving it, i thing self-employment suits me, i`am getting loads better at fault finding on appliances, still need the manufactures technical support lines but i`am learning so much and i`am really finding my feet... the only thing is the books...... i ant good with book keeping i don`t no what the hell i`am doing haha. give me a boiler to repair or a system to install and i`ll `do it in no time, but i just cant do the books very well so i`ll have to take some time of work and go on a short course. any advice??? please.

corgi number 225983 serial number 652971302, just for you moz

No can I add Its a very PROUD ......
BRILLIANT /WONDERFUL moment when you are NOT corgi ,

but for PROPER Time serveved Gas fellas,
an all the guys who trawled an kept up regs ..... :(

New Blood

I am well chuffed for you, and will be posting my CV for your attention shortley ;)

Mr Combi is dear but well worth it

:)

Sponsored Links
Back