Advice about a shaver socket

Sponsored Links
I was thinking that this means you can only use an electric razor in the bathroom. Anywhere else would be unsafe!

Those shaver sockets give out around 280 volts on low load (charging a toothbrush) which I think is too much. If the toothbrush is rated 100 to 250 volts use the 110 volt socket which is usually around 135v on low load. But you need to ensure the unit you choose will allow a UK shaver plug to go into the 110v socket (not MK or the one you pictured in post 3).

A standard ( ie 30 mA ) RCD will not trip on a 10 mA leak through body to ground. If that 10 mA current passes across the heart then the person could die without the RCD tripping.
True (although fortunately not common), but electricity does not know whether it is in a bathroom or anywhere else, so are you suggesting that it's not worth having 30mA RCDs protecting any circuits?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
But you need to ensure the unit you choose will allow a UK shaver plug to go into the 110v socket (not MK or the one you pictured in post 3).
Before then he needs to ensure that his toothbrush charger actually has a BS 4573 / IEC 60884-1 shaver plug and not a CEE 7/16 Europlug...

I was thinking that this means you can only use an electric razor in the bathroom. Anywhere else would be unsafe!
Anywhere that an electric razor could get wet while plugged into a socket might become an unsafe situation to use or just hold the razor

so are you suggesting that it's not worth having 30mA RCDs protecting any circuits?
No. What I am saying is that a non survivable shock ( via body to ground ) is possible from a circuit that is protected by a 30 mA RCD

Last edited:
No. What I am saying is that a non survivable shock ( via body to ground ) is possible from a circuit that is protected by a 30 mA RCD
We know that. Do you therefore feel that all electrical outlets or hard-wired electrical equipment should be isolated from earth?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back