Advice about a shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to have a shaver socket installed in my bathroom. I asked an electrician I work with about this and he said you can usually feed one easily as long as you have a permanent live cable in your light fitting. I Unscrewed the ceiling rose but only have a switched live, neutral and earth. I then remembered that the downstairs lights are all connected to a junction box, so I go in the loft and also find the upstairs ones are connected to one ( see photo ). Is it possible to have a socket fitted or are you looking at a major job? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 162
Sponsored Links
One of these for charging an electric razor and toothbrush. Currently have to use an adapter in a normal socket but would like one of these for convinience.

Attachments

• IMG_1475.PNG
    IMG_1475.PNG
    89.8 KB · Views: 101
Yes, you have a permanent live and neutral at the junction box to supply a shaver socket.

Sponsored Links
One of these for charging an electric razor and toothbrush. Currently have to use an adapter in a normal socket but would like one of these for convinience.
That one does say for shavers only. It might not be suitable for toothbrushes, but there are others which show toothbrushes as well.

Right ok I will ensure it's a suitable socket for both. So it's a case of running a cable from the junction box, not the ceiling rose? I will remove a run of flooring in the loft if so in readiness!

He can't, but flameport reminded me of another possible solution which is to cut off the plug and hard wire it/them into a connection unit. Probably cheaper than those extortionate transformers, but much less convenient if you want to go on holiday with your shaver.

Cut the 2 pin plug off and fit a normal plug instead.
No need for any adaptor or a shaver socket.
I'm sure the wife will be delighted with her electric toothbrush being charged on the bedside table, rather than the bathroom!

Probably cheaper than those extortionate transformers, but much less convenient if you want to go on holiday with your shaver.

And a bit less safe. The extortionate transformer povides isolation which significantly reduces the risk of electric shock should the shaver / toothbrush charger suffer mis-use or damage or other mis-fortune

And a bit less safe. The extortionate transformer povides isolation which significantly reduces the risk of electric shock should the shaver / toothbrush charger suffer mis-use or damage or other mis-fortune
Well yes, but we could apply that agreement to everything. RCD protection gets us most of the way there and would alert us to faults that wouldn't be obvious in an isolated installation.

RCD protection gets us most of the way there

A standard ( ie 30 mA ) RCD will not trip on a 10 mA leak through body to ground. If that 10 mA current passes across the heart then the person could die without the RCD tripping.

Hence the need for an isolated supply to the electric shaver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back