Advice/Help please -Hanging External Hardwood Gate? Hinges? Fixings?? Pics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a Hardwood gate I would like to hang in the pictured opening. It has been sat in my garage for 2 years and since then vals have appeared in it but it’s still rock solid (plus extremely heavy!).

It already had x2 cut outs for 100mm hinges (Toolstation Heavy ones)and I have purchased these as in pics but the holes do not match (I would like to use the existing if possible?) plus I’m considering ones with bearings and a third one perhaps?

It will sit in one brick wide opening and in pics I have it flush and have used x2 bits of tannalised 4x2 I had handy ad I’m repairing a fence. Could I use use or do I need hardwood? If so how do I know what type I have?
Also do I step the door to the back of the 4x2 and do I need doorstop? I want to keep it as minimal as possible…

It is painted in Sikkens No7 mahagony but obviously needs a freshen up plus supports will need staining protecting. What is the correct process for this??

Once hung I will come back for the ironmongery (looks like a clover type latch was used) and there were other fixings to add.

Sorry for the long post but want to get this fitted correctly and looking good with help from here.

Cheers. 05AC7998-F55D-4C2B-AB95-565BCE184AEC.jpegE4778D1C-7062-4843-9471-A08B5EFE73D5.jpeg25E8BFC4-C829-4200-B8F8-B8C1F818895F.jpeg14E9115A-0088-4465-9B37-AE2BF919820C.jpeg3E3E42A7-13F5-49CC-8BC0-D2D1157B301A.jpeg99BB0E99-3213-45A7-A8E2-101A6D48102A.jpeg64CA804B-93BC-4E4B-B101-DD03975702E2.jpegB96AC1B9-2534-4F1A-8C2B-025DD1996E3C.jpeg0D3BD690-3D62-486C-85DF-787429221103.jpegAE466C2B-109F-4F6F-ACBE-E53A6E8187A7.jpeg

Sponsored Links
So something like this?

What size hinges do I need plus what side supports?
I don’t want a doorstop on it but I suppose those hinges don’t need it?

It also looks like it is bolted on some parts?87BFCA60-B683-44C9-A92B-BE5DA7F04BE3.jpeg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need hook and band hinges

The length is supposed to be one third of the gate width

Get galvanised ones, and paint them before fitting. Some of the paint will rub off the pins in use, but paint them anyway.

If you drop at least two greasy stainless penny washers onto the pins before adding the gate, they will give flat mating surfaces, swinging freely without noise, and prevent wear.

The "bolt" you can see is the head of a carriage bolt. Order stainless ones when you know the size. It is considered unseemly to have nuts or hex heads showing on the public side. You can paint them before fitting if you don't like the silvery look. Grease the threads. If you are obsessive, you can use dome nuts or acorn nuts on the inside. You may need to cut the bolts.

Hang it with a good gap at the bottom to prevent damp rubbish contacting the wood, and accomodate any dropping

Last edited:
P.s. on mine I have an old model Chubb mortice lock, the internal parts are all brass or stainless, plus pad bolts near the top and bottom. The lock means I can go out through the back lane and lock it behind me.

You do need thick Stiles for a mortice lock, which I think you have.

You can also fit a rimlock, the only good one I know is the Wellington, which is expensive, but if you message me I will tell you how to get one cheap.

Gates move a lot with the weather, so the keep or hole for a lock or bolt must be extra-large so it will still fit

Thanks @JohnD

So only the first hole it bolted and the rest are standard screws?

I presume the side posts with standard wood and not hardwood will be ok?

Plus what fixings should I use on them.
Was thinking of masonry bolts countersunk in with a socket set.
How long would they need to be and is there a way of making the holes look tidier?

Cheers

yes. biggest that will fit. I use stainless outdoors.

expansive bolts can burst bricks, and especially concrete posts . How near an edge will they be? My preferred fixing for gateposts is steel studding through the wall with a stainless washer and nut on each end. you can recess the nuts beneath the surface of the post by drilling (say) a 10mm through hole for the bolt or stud, and a concentric 20mm hole that the washer will sit in. If using a spade bit, drill the big, shallow one first. You can also conceal them by putting them where the gate will hide them when closed. Or paint them to match the timber stain; usually dark brown.

You can use a resin fixing but I have not done that.

soak the top and bottom of each posts in spirit based wood preserver (not stain) in a plastic paint tub before fixing. Overnight is not too long. Protect the top surface with lead or plastic as a rain cap. I often use bits of DPC tacked down at the sides with brass or stainless. You can also get ornamental wooden caps but they don't last long. Brass would be nice if you can lay your hands on offcuts.

water is the enemy of outdoor timber.

Thanks.

So the standard H&B hinges. I have seen ‘cranked’ ones as well?

I presume stainless ones are better than zinc ones as well.

I’ve done some googling on the type of hardwood and think it’s meranti?
I would like to source this and have it planer to the exact thickness of the gate and it’s width would adjusted/planed by me to allow a 10mm gap either side.

Cheers

the cranked ones help you put inside the posts, as it sits the gate deeper than the pins.

i haven't seen stainless hook and band hinges. if galvanised and well painted before fitting, the only rust should be where they hinge parts rub against each other, and you can use two or more stainless or brass greased washers to take most of that.

I don't know about timber. I can sometimes get teak offcuts or castoffs that come from local boatyards.

I need cranked ones then I presume as it will be sitting between the posts.

I can also get off cuts of Hardwood Sapele.

If I do the posts same size as the gate they will be 44mm (gate width) x 40mm (fit gap with 5mm gap either side).
Then the lengths would be different as I need a longer post on the RHS (front view) as it needs to be the height of the bricks in order to allow the hinge to fit on the inside gates top ‘cross piece’.
The other post will be the height of the brickwork also.

If I have to whip gate off to plane more off then that’s no problem.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The gate is 900mm.
So 450mm hinges should suffice I suppose.
I will be using Galv ones and want to keep them silver/Galv.
What do I need to paint or spray them with?

Also having my posts the same width as the gate I think I will only have approx 42mm to fit the hook hinge part.

Plus when I put a straight edge along the opening side of the gate it was not straight. It’s been planed before and the edge was covered by a doorstop.
I won’t be using one so need to cut a straight line along it somehow.

Think I have made mistake here!!!

I rushed and had wood Sapele 44mm x 40mm.

The gate is 900mm.

I have just looked at the Hook and Band Cranked Hinges and the plate that fits on the post is 50mm wide, post is 44mm same as gate width.

I’m thinking can I disc the hinges a bit either side to make it fit? But then what about the screw holes. So I need to drill/countersink new ones so it not sitting on eve of post causing it to split.

In hindsight i should of trimmed the gate 5 or 10mm either side and had bigger posts.

Or I could of had the hanging post bigger than the other latch side post.

Anyone advise please.

Thanks.
FB9F7254-71A9-48DF-8C94-F40A14A0F14D.png

Last edited:
Hello

I have a 900mm wide gate, and it's secured with H&B hinges, they are 450mm long.

Is the problem now, that the hook is base plate is wider than your hardwood frame?
Only got two choices, grind down the hook plate (but it will rust) or thicken up the hardwood frame and trim the gate down.

If you can get some more sapele, thinner this time, you could glue this to the bits you already so you don't have to bin it.

Concrete screws will hold the frame to the wall, you can plug these afterwards, if you have a plug cutter.

@Mr Chibs
Yes the post is now too narrow as in pic above, the hinge plate is 50mm and the post as is is 40mm.

I think I will cut the hinge plates and and perhaps have to alter the the holes as they may be to near to the edge of the post.

Lucky you stated 450mm hinges as I was going to fit x3 600mm to it!!!

Another option is as you stated trim the gate and fit new posts but I’ve wasted £30 on x2 pieces of Sapele and that was the biggest size I could get at my local joinery after waiting 3 weeks!!

Or I could fit x3 12”/300mm hinges as their plates are 38mm not 50mm like the 600mm.

But it’s one heavy gate!!!

What a silly mistake!!

Attachments

• 9D297A77-5DC3-498A-AA97-61C7DD3F2A11.jpeg
    9D297A77-5DC3-498A-AA97-61C7DD3F2A11.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back