Advice/Help please -Hanging External Hardwood Gate? Hinges? Fixings?? Pics.

Other option, could be to use hooks from the small size fitting and larger bands, as your screenshot shows, there will be a mm different.

I found that the eyes that attach to the hooks, are similar thread size, so if you could find them, and you could be bothered, you could use smaller hook & eyes, larger bands, might get you out of a tight spot... or into a new one... not sure.

Keep us posted. (y)

Sponsored Links
Other option, could be to use hooks from the small size fitting and larger bands, as your screenshot shows, there will be a mm different.

I found that the eyes that attach to the hooks, are similar thread size, so if you could find them, and you could be bothered, you could use smaller hook & eyes, larger bands, might get you out of a tight spot... or into a new one... not sure.

Keep us posted. (y)

That could work, from looking online only 12"/30cm have smaller plates being 38mm wide but i doubt anyone would mix/match them tbh.

I'll get x3 450mm hinges and adjust them, i have had zinc spray/paint on the past when i made a zinc plated gate.
If they fail i will have no choice but to cut the gate width and get wider posts.

Another idea i have is to disc into the pillar/wall slightly and fill it with Rawplug polyester resin that ive used before on threaded bar for anchors but i doubt it hinge would sink in far enough tbh....

Or I could tack some threaded bar onto the ends of the hinge plates and fix them in the wall with resin.
I like that idea tbh

Another update.

A kind EBay seller who sells all sizes has stated that 400mm hinges have 40mm size plates.

Would these suffice?

Or do I go with bigger ones and cut them/bodge them in some way?

Opinions please.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can't see you needing larger ones, saves having to bodge/chop the larger ones.

You just need to get good fixings into the frame.
Something like 120mm concrete screws would be OK for fixing the frame, or frame fixings with sleeve/plug, or you could use rawl bolts

Also, I used a coach bolt in the square hole on the bands, and finished on the front with a stainless steel dome nut(s), if you can buy correct length, you won't have to chop down.

Also, I used stainless steel mortise lock to lock mine with normal key, yes it's designed for exterior doors, but well greased up, mines been good for years in the weather, fit escutcheons one the locks. (y)

Can't see you needing larger ones, saves having to bodge/chop the larger ones.

You just need to get good fixings into the frame.
Something like 120mm concrete screws would be OK for fixing the frame, or frame fixings with sleeve/plug, or you could use rawl bolts

Also, I used a coach bolt in the square hole on the bands, and finished on the front with a stainless steel dome nut(s), if you can buy correct length, you won't have to chop down.

Also, I used stainless steel mortise lock to lock mine with normal key, yes it's designed for exterior doors, but well greased up, mines been good for years in the weather, fit escutcheons one the locks. (y)

Brilliant, yes i have 8mm/140mm fixings here, i've used them many times and drove them in with a socket set.
I think i will add a washer as well but many companies don't as it keeps the larger hole you drill to sink the bolt head smaller, i want something of a size where i can plus as you described.

I always presumed the flat bolt part went on the outside of the gate...lol. But then gain it is square at so i suppose that what locks into the hinge bracket square on the inside.

I will definitely fit stainless dome nuts on the outside and cut the thread to size, did you use washers as well and wee they nyloc or similar?

Thanks

AFAIK the square hole in the band, needs to be just behind head of the bolt, otherwise when fitted in reverse, when you tighten it, it will spin.

I used galvanised, but wouldn't again, slight rusting. :whistle::(

This company who make and fits gates have a different opinion.
They fit the flat done with share in the outside.
Hammering it in holds it in place.

Just gave it a wash down and I LOVE the wet/semi gloss look!

I know it’s been painted with Sikkens Mahogany Filter 7 but it’s satin.

Anything else I can use to give it a slight sheen or should I stick with Satin?

Attachments

• EE7C7204-59AE-4BD7-8BFE-AB9AFECB82E0.jpeg
    EE7C7204-59AE-4BD7-8BFE-AB9AFECB82E0.jpeg
    393.5 KB · Views: 38

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back