Advice needed for painting Tyrolean Render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1940's semi which according to the surveyor is coated with a Tyrolean Render. It's looking rather tired and in some places is dis-coloured due to a leaking gutter and there is a little bit of mould.

I'm looking for some advice on how to tackle this myself, in particular:-
  1. How to clean and prepare the surface before painting (e.g. fungicidal wash, clean with pressure washer, then stabilising solution - then finally paint)?
  2. What kind of masonry paint should I use (e.g. Dulux Weathershield or Sandtex Smooth)?
  3. How many coats will I need - do I need to water the 1st coat down?
  4. Any useful tips for using a particular type of brush, roller or should I spray?
  5. Any other general tips on how to go about it?
Any advice or links to tips and hints would be great - P.S. I am planning on using scaffold.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Wash it with a hose, then spray paint it. I'm always cautious about pressure washing walls as you can just end driving moisture into the wall.

I rollered mine. Used a very shaggy roller designed for the job but it was still a pain. Not nice stuff to paint. I used Sandtex which seems ok. For the new render I watered down the first coat and it took 3 coats. The old paint I just brushed of the worst of it and one normal coat did the job. I did consider spraying, especially after the first rollered coat, but advice from a friend. He has one and the paint goes everywhere. Admittedly it goes on what you are painting pretty well though.

Fungicidal wash, leave it on overnight, rinse off. Thin your first coat and then give it two full coats, Sandtex, weathershield, Leyland truguard, Johnstones stormshield they are all good paints. Get a Captain Chunk roller sleeve, they are made by Axus, best roller for tyrolean by a mile.

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks everyone some good advice by the looks of it!

Do you have particular tips about using the roller or painting the render in general e.g. :-
  1. Best tips for using a roller?
  2. Which direction to 'roller' in and do you apply pressure going back and forth or in just 1 direction?
  3. When painting/rollering - best to start at the top of the wall and work down?

Not sure how useful but things I found:

Use a long handled roller so you can use 2 hands.
Up and down is a lot easier, paint on both strokes.
It takes a lot more paint than a flat wall. A lot.
There's a lot of paint left in the roller when you finish. I left the wall by the outside tap until last and used that to squeeze out the excess when washing the roller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back