Advice on brushes/paint combos please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone piont me at, or write, a quick guide to which type of brush to use with which type of paint please?

eg natural hair+ OB gloss
Synthetic + WB eggshell

that sort of thing

It'd be much appreciated, as I have a ton of deco work on my house to do!

Sponsored Links
To make it simple the rule is don't use a bristle brush in acrylic paint but you can use a synthetic or bristle in oil based.

Purdy are a good all rounder, you can apply emulsion, WB and OB top coats to a really good standard.

Picasso are very good for WB and cut a good line when emulsioning and hold a lot of paint, havn't used in OB

Wooster FTP are popular amongst a lot of dec's but havn't used them myself.
Corona are excellent but not yet available in the UK, the best i've used for applying acrylic u/c and gloss and satin, you may be able to find them on ebay, cost me a lot to import from the states.

I don't like hamilton, blue purdy, harris and generally any cheap brush but do keep a couple as a throw away option for stuff like bin.

I don't mix mediums i have WB brushes and OB brushes. If you're going down the OB route it would be worth getting a brush mate 4 for storage.

Acrylics, dampen the brush before use and clean it periodically if using for a long time to stop dried paint forming above the ferrule. Crud cutter do a good brush restorer/cleaner.
Adding floetrol to WB and owatrol to OB keeps the paint open longer and eases application.

If your not a pro that earns his money from his brushes i'd say go with a purdy box set of monarch elites because they do everything well. Probably wouldn't bother with bristle because until they're worn in they shed a bit and the tips break which is annoying. If your going to go all WB'd i'd buy a 3 inch, 2 inch and 1and a half inch picasso.

Your welcome.

Ask ten dec's their favourite brush and you'll probably get ten different answers but its good to understand if you use the right brush for the job you can improve your finishes.

Sponsored Links
Driving a rolls royce won't make you a good driver. It's more technique than equipment.

Well, even a great deco will surely struggle to get a good finish with a knackered old Woolies special (that dates me!). May as well get a tool that gives you the best chance of success.

Actually power steering, abs brakes, traction control, stability control, parking assist, low tyre pressure warnings etc etc makes you not necessarily a good driver but a hell of a lot better than if you were driving a mark one transit

Not if you are pizzed and speeding. ;)

I sort of agree with both views. Technique is vital. you could hand someone a Purdy and they would still make a right hash of things. But then quality kit can make a good technician even better.

My brush box is full of Purdy Monarch elites. OB and WB are marked and kept separate, as are brushes for colours and whites. Am a bit OCD with brushes.

Am looking forward to trying the Proform Picasso though. Have ordered a 2.5" to try out with emulsions.

I sort of agree with both views. Technique is vital. you could hand someone a Purdy and they would still make a right hash of things. But then quality kit can make a good technician even better.

My brush box is full of Purdy Monarch elites. OB and WB are marked and kept separate, as are brushes for colours and whites. Am a bit OCD with brushes.

Am looking forward to trying the Proform Picasso though. Have ordered a 2.5" to try out with emulsions.

You won't be disappointed, brilliant brushes, the three inch angled oval ferrule picasso is the daddy for emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back