Advice on CU change where switch drops are unearthed

There is nothing wrong with seeking advice and thoughts not everyone knows everthing about everything straight away/

Followed quickly by something replaced with:

[removed]

Now, hate me for doing this if you like, but you seem to be guilty of exactly the same thing you're accusing me of here, oharaf... (that is being high-handed with someone you think knows less than you)

Oharaf:

the Tails must be 25mm, the main bonding must be 16mm and supplementary bonding 10mm.

You recently told me Here to go away and read up about the differences between main and supplimentary bonding. Could I suggest you do the same.

You never did clarify your thinking there, did you?

Do SEB's go back to the MET? (No.)

Do you need SEB's in bathroom under the 17th? (The regulation suggests that if you cannot guarantee continuity the pipework, SEB's should still be installed.)

Sponsored Links
Securespark....your advice about doing PIR or a detailed test before changing a CU is spot on. An absolute necessity. How many diyers change their boards and then can't understand why the RCD trips? I always check for segregation of circuits aswell as it is possible to find 2 circuits sharing the same neutral, and that does present a real danger. I always do a full set of tests after reading a sparks tale on the screwfix forum whose job went t*TS UP cos he didn't test before change. Great piece of advice that should be heeded by all

That's just it.

If you don't test, and there's a fault, you get "It worked fine till you changed the board...." from the client and you end up footing the bill for rectification work.

Not to forget the faulty kettle and iron which cause the RCD to trip!

Sponsored Links
Equitum

You need to readjust your overly sanctimonious attitude. Everyone was a newbie at one stage.

You've thrown a few spiked barbs at peeps on this web site, always suggesting DIYer, fool or someone who shouldn't be in the industry.

always suggesting what ?? when have I suggested anyone shouldn't be in the industry, ever ?????

Please leave the cheap remarks out and concern yourself with giving helpful advice rather that simple negative critic.

I gave helpful advice on all of his points, didn't you read my post ? I also gave my opinion /concerns !

Life really isn't about finding opportunity to berate or lambaste at any given moment.

No, Life is precious an should be protected !

Chri5, if you are to make such personal comments then have the decency to respond to my reply or apoligise if you have subsequently discovered you were wrong ! :LOL:

]
Equitum

You need to readjust your overly sanctimonious attitude. Everyone was a newbie at one stage.

You've thrown a few spiked barbs at peeps on this web site, always suggesting DIYer, fool or someone who shouldn't be in the industry.

always suggesting what ?? when have I suggested anyone shouldn't be in the industry, ever ?????

Chri5 said:
Please leave the cheap remarks out and concern yourself with giving helpful advice rather that simple negative critic.

I gave helpful advice on all of his points, didn't you read my post ? I also gave my opinion /concerns !

Chri5 said:
Life really isn't about finding opportunity to berate or lambaste at any given moment.

You see I wasn't even thinking of commencing the work, I had purely been asked to come and give an assessment of their physical electrics and to give them the possible 'choices' of what COULD be done.

If and when they ask for the work done, I will have prior knowledge of the installation, it goes without saying a full PIR is required prior to work in particular regard to the insulation resistance of each circuit!!

It just so happens I am going back again today as the couple have had 2 lights blow after replacing them, already I am asking myself what is causing this

- Fuse wire reaching end of its life, poor terminations, insulation damage et al.

appologes for the outburst, but I was expecting advice rather than questioning of my ability, that is what I have come to expect from here unlike other forums which are filled with ejits.

Stilll waiting chri5 ....

Chri5, if you are to make such personal comments then have the decency to respond to my reply or apoligise if you have subsequently discovered you were wrong ! :LOL:

]
Equitum

Chri5 said:

Chri5 said:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back