Advice on Drayton MA1 valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need some advice please. I have a Drayton MA1 3-way valve unit. Ive had it in the garage for a couple of years but now thinking its time to fit it. Thing is, when I look inside at the rubber valve gate, I see that it touches the pipe ends on the hinge side but leaves a gap on the far side. Is this normal? Will the water pressure or temperature cause the rubber gate to close fully? Has age affected the rubber gate and is pointless fitting this? As I don't have another valve to compare it to I thought there might be a plumber on here who has one they could check. Many thanks.
90hprji7kial.jpg

Another forum post suggested the Honeywell valve as it has a ball gate instead of this flat face gate. I assume the ball makes a good seal each time as it sites in the cup of the open pipe. Should I scrap the drayton and get a Honeywell? Are the motorised heads on a Honeywell easy to swap? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Why is it time to fir the Drayton? Honeywell heads should be easy enough, but depends on whether it’s an old one, if it is, it requires a partial drain down.

The current fitted drayton valve is sticking. It Burnt the motor last year and has just burnt out the replacement head last week. The valve doesn't move freely by hand so going to replace it. If I went the Honeywell option, is the brassware the same length for a direct replacement, electrical wiring same colours? Just watched youtube vid that said swap like for like. I don't want to fit my drayton valve if its not going to seal properly, but without seeing a brand new one I don't know how that rubber gate should look. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies. I went with a Honeywell in the end though even with the ball, it doesn't seal the pipes as tight as I expected. Maybe with the water pressure its different. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back