Advice on finishing this bookcase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve built a bookcase and would welcome your advice on how I paint/stain this please.

It’s constructed from 18mm MDF and here’s where I am currently at:
8E75CEB2-C1CF-46F7-ABEF-4FF3642C0CFF.jpeg

I’ve got more to build and here is the design I am following:
20D0C385-C9CF-468B-B25E-04CCA946313E.jpeg

I’d like to finish this in a wood colour if possible. I appreciate the limitations of MDF. My doors have Osmo Oil and I’d like to get close to this colour if possible.

Can you also advise if I first need to primer.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Definitely prime the mdf first otherwise you'll be painting for the rest of your days.
Then any colour of your choice will do.

Which primer do you recommend for this?
Also, is staining an option for MDF?

Sponsored Links
Can I please have some more advice on this as I am unclear on how I should approach this. Here’s the colour and finish on my doors
9FBDAC06-A8BF-4B81-B9DF-6990DF9244F6.jpeg

I am hoping to achieve a similar look to this. I’m unsure on whether I should stain, prime and paint or something else.

Can I also have some advice on when and how much I should sand the MDF prior to these applications.

Thanks in advance.

Those doors are made of wood or veneer.
Your bookcase is made of mdf.
You have no chance to achieve 1/10 of that finish.
Your best bet is to paint the bookcase with a flat bold colour (white, black, pink, orange, green, blue...)
If you wanted a wood finish the bookcase should have been made with... you guessed it: wood.

I appreciate I won’t get the wood grain showing through but why can’t I have a similar colour?

As stated you need a primer, you will need to do at least 3 coats (be prepared to do more), sanding in between, use a roller or a sprayer

https://www.toolstation.com/leyland...-6UcKR_3ew7oIxix8PM-W94uDKiRaIARoCf3MQAvD_BwE

For a wood colour, you'd likely have to have it special mixed but you would need a sample of the colour you want for them to match it.

For a top coat you will want an acrylic paint, again spray or roll it. Spraying will provide the best finish, but you might have to do a bit of practicing before attacking the book case

How good it would look without the grain I couldn't say, antique oak would just look like a browny yellow, for example.

If you haven't sprayed before, do not attempt it.
It will come very dusty and rough with all those corners.

With the mini roller, which fitment should I use? I recall that there is a foam and "fluffy" type. Thanks

you would be best using a "test" piece before starting any work, and try various rollers to ensure the finish you want.

personally i cant stand foam rollers, i dont think they work well with water based paints, but i'm not a pro and its down to individual choice and technique

Should I fill/caulk joins in the bookshelf before or after the priming?
Also, do I need to keep sanding to a minimum with MDF?

Thanks for all your help.

Should I fill/caulk joins in the bookshelf before or after the priming?
Also, do I need to keep sanding to a minimum with MDF?

Thanks for all your help.

only sand between each coat of paint, it just wants a light sanding to take the high points off and to gain a smooth finish.

if filling joints, do it before painting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back