advice on fitting magnaclean pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All...

Had British gas out some time ago as some of rads were not getting hot, even though I have breakdown cover they would not touch my system and they said they wanted 850 to power flush and fit a magnaclean.

I'm not able to fork out 850, so had to go the DIY route, so far 3 weeks ago I drained off some water and put in Sentinel X800 cleaner from Screwfix which has now got all my rads working again, so has dislodged some of the sludge build-up.

I'm now going to drain the system completely and put in Sentinel X100 plus I want to fit a Magnaclean, problem is I've read the best place to fit would be the return to the boiler, but as you can see from the pics the pipes are in the wall, so would it be OK to fit to another visible pipe in the airing cupboard ?

I've taken pics of the airing cupboard plus the boiler, I'd really appreciate any advice as to which pipe to fit too as I really haven't got a clue, also is the maganclean the best option to go for ? And can anyone suggest the best/cheapest place to buy from ?

Massive thanks in advance for any help/advice
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Put it on the pipe far left in the airing cupboard. This is the flow pipe from the boiler. Its not as good as fitting on the return pipe to the boiler but you dont have that option. Plus the carp will allready be in your boiler so the positioning is not going to make a lot of difference in your case. Empty it regularly and it should help a lot. However its never going to do the job of a proper powerflush if your system is badly sludged up ;)

Dont fit a magnaclean on the far left pipe. The magnaclean comes with iso valves which are not allowed in that pipe, put it in the pipe on the right, next to the pump.

Thanks for the quick reply, the pipe you said to install to on the far left is a larger diameter, the pipe which is third over from the far left I think is 22mm and would be long enough to fit the unit too, would the third from the left be OK to install too ? as they seem to come in 22mm standard ? I just put the boiler on to heat the water and the pipe you said far left is hot and the 3rd over from the left is also hot ...

I've taken pics of the pipe I'm looking to install it too just to make sure that would be OK (third from the left), just above where I'm looking to install it it has a Myson power extra unit so unsure if this would affect anything and make it unsuitable to install the filter in this pipe ?

Also would the FERNOX TOTAL FILTER TF1 be just as good ? As this seems to be cheaper and does the same thing, don't want to install to the 3rd from the left which seems to be 22mm dia if this is going to do nothing to help my cause....

Sponsored Links
Thanks TWGAS, so would I be OK to fit it to the pipe which would be the down pipe from the pump which would be below the MYSON unit, there are 2 Myson fitted one on the far right and one on the left, so I would like to fit to the pipe below the Myson on the left, also would this pipe be 22mm dia can't see any way of seeing the size of the pipe ?

If you extend the pink square down, on that same pipe is the Myson unit, can I install just below that Myson unit as there is a long length of pipe below the Myson and would be the easiest place to install ?

Dont fit a magnaclean on the far left pipe. The magnaclean comes with iso valves which are not allowed in that pipe, put it in the pipe on the right, next to the pump.

Apologies. My bad :oops: twgas is absolutely right. It needs to be installed after the feed and vent pipes on your system as it is an s plan system. It looks like you have enough room under the pump for it. But you may need to chop the shelf a little.

Not a great idea to install it after the mororised valve as you are suggesting. But from looking at the pics the motorised valve you are thinking of installing the magnaclean under is serving the heating. So it will still be fairly effective.

The pipe under the pump is 7" looking at the installation this would not be enough as it says to cut 195mm out in order to fit the filter

This is why I wanted to place under the Myson in the same length of pipe as it's long enough, but based on what you said this is a No No ?

This is why I wanted to place under the Myson in the same length of pipe as it's long enough, but based on what you said this is a No No ?

If you dont have enough room under the pump then putting it under the motorised valve for the heating is your next best option. But with a slight bit of repiping you should be able to fit it after the pump. But before the valves. ;)

You'd fit a spirotech mb3 in that space ;)

And it wouldn't be made of plastic

but isn't it 4 parts... a lid, two valves and the canister..

trust me the mb3 is easier to retrofit, and you get a Real drain off valve..

looks like the MB3 will fit and the Magnaclean pro2 if I cut the shelf, what would the dia be of that pipe that I need to fit it too just below the pump as it's definitely a larger diameter pipe than the one below the Myson, just don't want to get one drain and then cut the pipe and it doesn't fit, now that would be a nightmare...

Can't see any marking's saying the dia of the pipe anywhere....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back