Advice on getting rid of hornets / wasps needed

Make sure it's not a honey bee nest. if it is I will come remove it for you.

If it was honey bees there would be more than 4 or 5 in the shed. :rolleyes:

Yeh, but he did mention a nest and said there was always 4 or 5 flying about. You do know how honey bees work don't you?
Indeed he did,but he said he was unwilling to see if there was a nest,and yes I'm well aware how bees work.

And?

Sponsored Links
Came away thinking the kids had now learn't a valuable lesson, although my daughter was non too happy. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

LOL.

Not sure what they were. But they were using my shed as a access point so I left them to it. I can only assume they had a hive under the foundations.
I never built this brick shed was here when I got the place.
So could be gaps under it.

I currently have a Bumblebee nest in the Garage.

A worker bees nest in the house wall :rolleyes:

A swarm of Honeybees in the hedge at the bottom of the garden.

And a dead hornet that came through the open window, so they are around somewhere.

Sponsored Links
If its hornets you will hear the difference in 2 ways

Ist.. the noise their wings make is far more audible than a wasps due to teir size.

2nd .. The scream their victim makes on being stung will be far louder as it hurts ten fold compared to a wasps.

As for bumble bees that dont sting these are identified by having a bright yellow hairy nose. As kids we used to have races with them after catching them and pulling the wings off them.
A champion yellow nose was well looked after with supplies of fresh supplies of buttercups etc..

Wasps i would kill everytime as they will sting for no reason, burn them out and stone them to death.

As much as we may not like/hate/detest certain creatures everything has a place in the food chain. Its a delicate balance which should be controlled by nature but mankind, who thinks he is superior to everything else, often interferes with what could ultimately be disastrous results.

When i get a wasp nest in the garden i get the garden flame thrower out, connect it to the air compressor set at 60 psi, its now a giant blow torch, a roar like a jet engine no red flame just a large blue one. within a second there is a round hole in the hedge and no nest.

Ant powder from your local supermarket, squirted in the entrances then on the hive (then run) should kill them all as they spread it.

For under 2 quid it works but you have to get close, for under a fiver you can get the wasp nest spray to squirt it from 6' away for similar effect.

It's £40 to call a local pest control person to kill wasps nests in this area, he also charges an extra £10 per additional nest.

I know this because we had two last year.

No signs as yet..!

Pest control bloke told me it was because of the food they eat, that there is more of it to go round the fewer numbers early spring and they tend to get smaller as numbers increase later in the year.

Makes sense to me.

Sponsored Links
Back