Advice on light switch type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Situation: bedroom lights:

Single switch, plus switches either side of the bed, anyone of which can be used to switch main lights. However the by the bed switches are a 2 gang with the second switch controlling over bed reading lights. Having taken off the face plate, they are of a type I've not experienced before, with a 'unit' which is separately attached to the back box. I've yet to take this apart.

I have/had assumed that the wiring controlling the main light must be a standard 2 x 2 way plus an intermediate. But I'm thrown by the fact that I can't find "intermediate" switch which is a 2 gang, and by the fact that the existing have this separate from face plate 'unit'.

I want to upgrade this rooms plain white sockets/switches to something more appealing. Does this setup ring any bells, and if so what type of switches should I be looking for ? I have (or perhaps had) already selected what range I want to go with (and boy are there LOTS of sockets and aerial outlets in this room) but wondering whether I need to rethink.

Appreicate any help. Does this forum allow attachments to be uploaded if I was to take piccie's of what I'm seeing (esp. perhaps after I've taken these by the bed switches apart a bit more).

Sponsored Links
Standard two way switch is marked Com, L1, L2, but there are also the master/slave type often with S terminal these have to connect to another switch same make and series. Using the master/slave set-up you can have dimming at both switches. It would seem you have grid switches these have a plate which you can mix and match so one switch could be intermediate and the other two way in the same face plate.

I'm thrown by the fact that I can't find "intermediate" switch which is a 2 gang, and by the fact that the existing have this separate from face plate 'unit'.
Using grid switches is likely to be the only way to get a 2-gang which includes an intermediate in most ranges. Presumably you've confirmed that the appropriate switch on one side of the bed is, in fact, an intermediate?

You'd be able to use two "normal" 2-gang 2-way switches for the bedside if you could arrange for the intermediate to be on its own at the door, but if it's not been wired that way, that may not be possible without a lot of work,

Sponsored Links
MK, Hamilton and Varilite all have 2g intermediates in many different finishes.
Interesting - Any idea when the likes of MK started doing them? They always used to seem all but impossible to find, but perhaps with all the fancier lighting schemes people seem to go for these days they figured it was worth it.

Appreicate any help. Does this forum allow attachments to be uploaded if I was to take piccie's of what I'm seeing (esp. perhaps after I've taken these by the bed switches apart a bit more).

Sure. Take pic and save it as a .JPG
Just drag it into the reply box, job done.
Like this………………………..
booze tree.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Grid Switches: that's opened up a whole new world for me. It will probably be after Xmas now when I get to take a further look at the switches themselves, but looking at websites this looks exactly like what I have. Unfortunately not available in the range / finish I had selected (at least not yet found) but at least I largely now know what I need to look for. May be back on here for some assistance when I've taken these apart more. Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back