Advice on light switch wires and terminal blocks...

Decide which light(s) you would want on when it gets dark, and put them on. .... With the power off, use choc blocks with the wires arranged to replicate the connections made in the switches.
If the OP does that, it would clearly be important to label the wires as necessary (and keep diagrams etc.) in such a fashion as to to facilitate the eventual reconnection of them to the switches, since the way they were arranged/connected in the chock blocks would not reflect how they were connected to the switches.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It could
L1.L2..X..C...X...X..L1.L2 C...X...X..L1.L2..X..C...X.
I'm not sure I understand. If the OP doesn't actually label conductors (and keep diagrams etc.), if he does as BAS sugegsted, and connects them together in connector blocks so as to simulate the 'on' state of the switch (e.g. putting the conductors that had gone to C and L1 together into one terminal of the block), how would he know how to re-connect them to the switch?

Kind Regards

Sponsored Links
It could
L1.L2..X..C...X...X..L1.L2 C...X...X..L1.L2..X..C...X.
I'm not sure I understand. If the OP doesn't actually label conductors (and keep diagrams etc.), if he does as BAS sugegsted, and connects them together in connector blocks so as to simulate the 'on' state of the switch (e.g. putting the conductors that had gone to C and L1 together into one terminal of the block), how would he know how to re-connect them to the switch?
On reflection, I suppose it could be done your way if, as you suggested, one arranged the conductors 'logically' in a block and then added additional links between block terminals to simulate the switch.

Kind Regards, John

Links aren't needed. The connector is the switch.
If one uses the two sides of the block, that's true. But, if one does that, then how (without labelling/records, a good memory or the knowledge which you and I have) would one know which conductor to put back in which switch terminal?

Are you perhaps assuming that one does have that knowledge/memory? For example, if it were a 2-way switch and one put the L1 and L2 conductors into (different terminals of) one side of the block and the C into the other side of one of those, then one would know/remember that the lone one was the 'C'?

Kind Regards, John

Well, yes. Camera? Pencil? Windows paint? :)
Quite so - but does that differ significantly from what I wrote, namely:
... it would clearly be important to label the wires as necessary (and keep diagrams etc.) in such a fashion as to to facilitate the eventual reconnection of them to the switches...
??

Kind Regards, John

I'd suggest the OP does not try to use electrician's terminology, but does something like this:
Get extension for suitable light in room
Daylight
Turn off main switch and all MCBs
Unscrew fronts but do not remove any wires
Draw not photograph the back of every switch showing connections as A,B,C etc . Note on the drawing which switch is which eg No 1.
Ignore the L1 etc. which can be confusing with 2/3 way switches and multiple gangs.
Stick onto each wire a corresponding label (sellotape/paper).
Do this for every switch.
Only now take off the front, fit blocks on ends of wires, put in a piece of paper to state what number switch. Put in freezer bag and cover opening to protect the wire and plasterer.
Turn back on main switch
Turn back on only the socket supply feeding the worklight.
Might seem OTT for some here, but will work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back