Advice on new shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking to build a new shed 4.2mx4.2m. I'm not really interested in the visual appeal of the sides and the back, as it will be next to the fence and hence not visible. So, I was thinking of getting plywood boards, https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Non-Structural-Hardwood-Plywood---18mm-x-1220mm-x-2440mm/p/110037 and drilling them into the studwork of the shed, instead of tongue and groove cladding. So plywood on the 2 sides and the back. And then covering this with felt https://www.wickes.co.uk/Iko-Black-Ultra-Durable-Super-Shed-Felt-8-x-1m/p/117668 .

Could you advise if this will be economical and will survive for a few years?

Money is an issue, hence I don't want the cladding on the sides.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Plywood won't stand getting wet, it'll delaminate and fall apart.

Osb3 would tolerate wet more. Also felt is heavy and laid vertically it'll want to rip easily.

Thanks for the advice.
Is there a lighter felt I can use? I wanted to nail it horizontally. 4 m at a stretch, as the shed I'm building is around 4x4m.
If I can't use felt, can I leave the OSB3 wood exposed? or is there something else I can cover it with? or maybe treat it with some liquid?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.
Is there a lighter felt I can use? I wanted to nail it horizontally. 4 m at a stretch, as the shed I'm building is around 4x4m.
If I can't use felt, can I leave the OSB3 wood exposed? or is there something else I can cover it with? or maybe treat it with some liquid?

If the felt is supported enough it may be OK but it doesn't hold it's weight on the clout nails well and rips easily.

Nothing is currently springing to mind as a perfect cheap solution for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back