Advice on rebating architrave to take hand forged 'T' hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the internal panel doors in our barn conversion with ledged solid oak doors and 15" hand forged 'T' hinges. I've just done one as a 'test' - 12 more to do!

In order to fit the hinges to the door frame, I need to cut a rebate out of the existing architrave so that the 'T' of the hinge can lie flat against the door frame/wall. Is there an easy way to do this other than by using a chisel? The existing architrave is at least 25 years old and quite hard now, so it is not easy to cut across the grain neatly using a chisel.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could use a P180E though a good quality set of chisels and mallet should do it easily.
Why not fit the hinge to the lining, will look very odd with lumps out of the architrave.

Sponsored Links
before you cut anything you need to make sure the frame has enough "meat" to support the hinge in the area where the screws go with the knuckle central on the gap

probably be fine but worth checking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back