Advice on removal of front door ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove my front door off the hinges or frame to take delivery of a new sofa. I have no idea how to do this and need some advice please.

I have attached a picture of one of the hinges, Its a Yale composite door.

Can someone help.

Sponsored Links
GALLERY]

The easiest option is probably to just remove the hinges from the door frame and then just rehang it once the sofa has been delivered. I can't work out if they are Philips or Pozi screws but make sure you use the correct screwdriver or bit to avoid damaging them. Pack under the door first to avoid it dropping and placing stress on the last screw to remove, and work your way up from the bottom to the top of the door as it is easier to support it when you are standing up than when you are on your knees. Rehanging it just the opposite but only place one screw in each hinge initially to check for any adjustments.

Many thanks for your reply. Would there be a plate behind the door frame which the hinge screws go in too ? Just asking incase the plate could come loose and fall behind frame ? Or would the screws just go into the frame ?

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd take the screws out of the door, and leave the ones in the frame alone, if at all possible......
John :)

Thanks for your reply. I don't wanna mess the position of the door on the hinges incase setting the position is difficult.

Thanks john. Do you know if you can take the hinges off without altering the position ?

I'm not familiar with those hinges, but the ones on the frame look like they have adjustment in them, so I would try to avoid touching them.

When you rehang the door, wedge it up so there is no strain or weight on the screws when you refix it.

I'm a convert to lift-off hinges now as they make all this so much easier.

Sorry - I just realised that I was looking at it completely backwards! I thought the door was on the right and the frame on the left - I didn't notice the brushes. :oops: In that case I would definitely remove it from the door (on the left). That way you shouldn't need to readjust after rehanging it.

The frame is on the left and door on the right. Does anyone know how to adjust the hinges on the door. I.e what screw does what ?

In that case I'll stand by my original message then. It is likely that the frame has metal inside it for the entire length as those hinges have been cut in after manufacture, so nothing should fall down if you removed those screws.

I would take the frame hinges off personally, all the adjustment is on the sash and no further adjustment should be needed when you re-hang it. Just treat it as though you are hanging a wooden internal door. The screws, I believe are Phillips 2, which is pretty standard in the door and window industry. Good Luck

the complicated hinge leaf on the right is the one that looks like it has the adjustment mechanism in it, so that's the one I would not want to remove.

Thankyou everyone for your advice I will let you know how I get on.

Also if anyone else has any advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back