Advice on removing wall

A 190 joist is not going to span that kitchen and dinner without a mid span support.

Sponsored Links
called a SE today, they want £650 to come and have a look, ive got another builder coming this week,

i need to tell building control?

A 190 joist is not going to span that kitchen and dinner without a mid span support.

so where the kitchen wall is supporting, the dining room has french doors so this isnt supporting or it it also

Sponsored Links
Probably.

But why not just get a SE to take a look/advise you then you'll be able to make a decision and instruct a builder accordingly?

All external walls are structural/supporting walls.

Going by that plan, the ground floor internal walls going vertically are load bearing, and those going horizontally are not. But as always things need to be checked first.

£650 is a lot for an engineer and a simple beam such as would be required here. Check if your council actually need calculations to be provided, as many now will accept beams of certain size, up to certain spans.

The tricky thing here is getting the beam in the floor void, so you need an experienced builder.

thanks ill take a look
All external walls are structural/supporting walls.

Going by that plan, the ground floor internal walls going vertically are load bearing, and those going horizontally are not. But as always things need to be checked first.

£650 is a lot for an engineer and a simple beam such as would be required here. Check if your council actually need calculations to be provided, as many now will accept beams of certain size, up to certain spans.

The tricky thing here is getting the beam in the floor void, so you need an experienced builder.

i will call the council tomorrow and see what they say, the first quote we have the builder said he will do the beam under the joists for the price and will be alot more if i want it sunk in, i would sink it in myself with some help but the missus fretts and would rather it be done by a ''professional''

Always put a beam in the ceiling not under it where possible. Spend the money it will be worth it.

Would the builder cut the joists then post the beam in through a hole in the outside wall?

5%20-%20DimLumber_VisGraded_in_hangers.JPG
5%20-%20DimLumber_VisGraded_in_hangers.JPG

i would do something like this with a steel inbetween, if i was to insist and do it sunk do i need to get a SE to calculate my steel? i would honestly do a better job as its my house.

I calculated my own online and have since been told by building control and the plan drawer that I need calcs from an SE. A thread in this section said my cat could do the calcs and it would be upto the councils own engineer to check them if they wanted them checking.

I calculated my own online and have since been told by building control and the plan drawer that I need calcs from an SE. A thread in this section said my cat could do the calcs and it would be upto the councils own engineer to check them if they wanted them checking.

ha ha, is that to sign it all off? have you got to get the calcs then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back