Advice please regarding toilet leak and damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several months ago we had a new en-suite fitted however we haven't used it until about a month ago, we weren't living there.

The wall was built out with a timber frame and plasterboard then tiled, toilet to the front with a concealed cistern.

I had noticed a very small damp patch on the bedroom wall roughly behind the toilet but since moving in it has gone a lot worse.

Bathroom fitter came back yesterday and took the toilet off and it was very wet inside the cavity. Bathroom fitter said he couldn't see any signs of a leak and suspected it was condensation but was surprised that condensation would be so bad.

Looking at the pan connector last night I found a slit around 15mm long obviously a leak.

My question is now that we know that the damp is due to a leak should I push for the tiled plasterboard to be replaced and risk the tiling not being as good as it is a repair or should it all dry out and be OK (bearing in mind it has been toilet waste that has been leaking out)? We can't do much about what has soaked in to the breeze blocks!

Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
Concealing wet fixtures in domestic properties is bad practice in my book. Because of maintenance issues, & possible loss of space.

How can you see whats going on inside the wall? Was an access hatch built into the wall?
Without a photo of the rip/leaking position in relation to the wall its difficult to advise about the plasterboard.
The condensation claim is a non-starter without the "slit".

Concealing wet fixtures in domestic properties is bad practice in my book. Because of maintenance issues, & possible loss of space.

How can you see whats going on inside the wall? Was an access hatch built into the wall?
Without a photo of the rip/leaking position in relation to the wall its difficult to advise about the plasterboard.
The condensation claim is a non-starter without the "slit".

Hi Vinn

Thanks for the reply, I'm with you on the inspection hatch and will discuss this with them. I was advised that as it is adjacent to an outside wall that what could cause the condensation. My feeling was if it was dry in the cavity (which to me it should be) then there would be nothing to condense. Is that your take?

As regard to photo, I'm at work but will post a photo or two later.

Thanks again.

Simon

Due diligence should take place by any building professional before boxing in anything against an outside wall, especially an external bathroom wall.
Condensation, mould & slime can form in airless compartments against outside walls eg. window seats and wall panelling. Its only a possibility which in your case, after a few months, is a no way situation for condensation.
If you dont have a means of accessing the cistern how will you carry out any future maintenance?

Sponsored Links
I push for the tiled plasterboard to be replaced

If it all dries out and the tiles remain solid, then that will be OK and not worth the disruption and risk of complete renewal.

You dont actually know what the damage is, so unless there is some quantifiable loss or defect, then it might be best to leave it.

But you do want to be certain that this sort of leak wont reoccur at some future time, so does it need to be redesigned so that all joints are visible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back