Advice required on fireplace opening please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to open up a fireplace to have a wood burning stove fitted. My query is regarding using fireboard and how it is finished with the front face plaster wall. See the image (a mock up graphic) for the look we are after. A guy who is putting a quote together for us says it really needs a finishing plate (to cover the front edge of the fireboard), which basically looked like angle iron around the face (if that makes sense) and personally thought it looked naff. What we are after is basically something which looks like it is just plastered. Is this possible?

Cheers

Simon

fireplace.jpg

Attachments

• MASTER FIREPLACE02.jpg
    MASTER FIREPLACE02.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
Been like that since 2013 no cracking , fire board inside and plastered on the outside

Attachments

• 0EDEAC36-BE03-498C-8545-662B15D42F4F.jpeg
    0EDEAC36-BE03-498C-8545-662B15D42F4F.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 31
That's good and looks great, pretty much identical to what we hope to achieve. As a matter of interest what is the distance from the stove to the inner wall? Do you know was it standard plaster or heat resistant such as Vitcas? I just want to get it right first time:)

Thanks for the info.

Simon

I rendered mine (sand and cement), just another option. Been rock solid since 2016, no cracks, not even hairlines. No need for any fire resistant plaster or board then. You just render to one side of the corner bead and skim the front face.

Attachments

• 31F2E6A3-83D8-438B-91F4-1258A2AAC3FB.jpeg
    31F2E6A3-83D8-438B-91F4-1258A2AAC3FB.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
The inside part was done by the stove fitter , fire board ( cement based I think ) which was just painted and my mate made good with plaster up to this ..

A guy who is putting a quote together for us says it really needs a finishing plate (to cover the front edge of the fireboard), which basically looked like angle iron around the face (if that makes sense)
Does he mean a metal edge skim bead
If so, won't be visible when plastered.

1674417908793.png

Attachments

• 1674417816080.png
    1674417816080.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 27
No, some type of aluminium/metal right angle fitted on the outside after fireboard and plastering fitted. When I get the quote through I'll go over it again because I'm sure there is a better way which is supported by others experiences.

To be fair the guy came recommended by someone who has had work done and talked good sense in many other ways. We are having more quotes anyway so will go back to him and ask him to elaborate after I've spoken to the others but yeah it may end up being another installer!

He’ll probably be fine if you suggest it, it’s just a subtle difference in how the plastering’s finished off, and needs a very accurate sizing of the cement board, and some attention to detail on the beading, so the exposed board edge is behind a stop bead, and not exposed and needing to be covered by a trim. (As shown totally by @jacko555 pic)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back