Advice wanted....Shoddy Brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m hoping someone could help me out with work I’m having done on the house. I am having a new porch built and the brickwork (I think) is not up to standard. I have raised the issue with the bricky but was told it’s the difference in brick size that is causing problems?
First pic shows the bricks are not straight and I have put a ruler showing this.
And secondly you can see that the bottom half of the brickwork seems to have fairly consistent gaps between them. Then the top half has very large, untidy gaps in the cement. I’m not a builder so please bear with my terminology. Hopefully you get what I’m trying to get at.
Am I being picky or am I justified in saying it’s a shoddy job?
Thanks for any help.
C52A2F60-BD04-44BF-9794-FE18C21CDB05.jpeg
B9B8132C-32FE-4D9C-8BEB-A2774936E997.jpeg
030D789A-09EE-4908-A57C-2A23DA898CDE.jpeg
101A3EC0-A2EF-41EE-B96F-4A158A8C6FDC.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Nothing a couple of sticks of dynamite won't cure.

One for the wall, one shoved up the "brickie's" arse.

I see an inner leaf, so a double skin wall.
But if he's not going up at the same time and not using ties, how the hell is gonna put them later?

So, what can I do if I’m not happy with his work? If I get someone else in the bricks will need all the mortar knocked off as the walls are taken down. Or, buy new bricks.
I’m so stressed about this and the bricky keeps bulls@@ting me when I raise any issue with his work. He says it’s because of the variation in the brick and various other rubbish. Does anyone know my rights in this situation?
Please tell me honestly if you think I’m being picky or this is bad work.
Thanks for your reply’s.

So, what can I do if I’m not happy with his work? If I get someone else in the bricks will need all the mortar knocked off as the walls are taken down. Or, buy new bricks.
I’m so stressed about this and the bricky keeps bulls@@ting me when I raise any issue with his work. He says it’s because of the variation in the brick and various other rubbish. Does anyone know my rights in this situation?
Please tell me honestly if you think I’m being picky or this is bad work.
Thanks for your reply’s.

Tell him you're unhappy with the work and to cease working on the job. If he asks for money, say you'll have to pay for the existing work to be demolished.

Tell him to knock it down and clean the bricks.
Not too difficult with fresh mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back