Advice wanted....Shoddy Brickwork?

I found when I lived in the South East that most of the Imperial brickwork there was 2 5/8 x 4 1/8 x 8 5/8, which is smaller than other parts of the country(especially the North) where the 73mm brick(2 7/8) is more common.
For the smaller one you need one around 67mm. Do they do one in that size?
It look like he made the bottom joints a bit smaller as well which meant he had to bump up even more at the top.

I will measure the bricks on the house and the bricks which are going up a bit later and let you know. Even if the bricks are a different size I would have thought you spread the difference all the way up the wall equally? Correct me if I’m wrong as I’m not a bricky but makes sense in my mind to do that?

Sponsored Links
I found when I lived in the South East that most of the Imperial brickwork there was 2 5/8 x 4 1/8 x 8 5/8, which is smaller than other parts of the country(especially the North) where the 73mm brick(2 7/8) is more common.
For the smaller one you need one around 67mm. Do they do one in that size?
It look like he made the bottom joints a bit smaller as well which meant he had to bump up even more at the top.

I will measure the bricks on the house and the bricks which are going up a bit later and let you know. Even if the bricks are a different size I would have thought you spread the difference all the way up the wall equally? Correct me if I’m wrong as I’m not a bricky but makes sense in my mind to do that?

It depends on the job. If you tooth out you have no choice but to follow the existing. If you set back and use wall starters it can be better to ignore the existing and use the standard gauge.
Nowadays I would always discuss the options before starting. As Charlie said the best option is the same size bricks, but even with the wrong size you can see he does not really have much idea on the job.
What part of the country are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back