Advice wanted....Shoddy Brickwork?

Thanks for all the advice. The porch is being built as part of several outside improvements all by the same contractor. The “brickie” is being hired by the contractor and is only working on the porch. Most of the other work seems okay. The contractor is asking for part payment of the work done so far. Would it be acceptable to ask the contractor for an itemised invoice of the work done to date and withhold payment for the porch?

Sponsored Links
The work is really rough and he does not deserve to be paid. It could be that the bricks on your house are Imperial sized at 2 5/8 which are a few mm bigger than the 65mm metric. I remember having to follow the gauge on extensions years ago and finding that the bed joints were often around 12 - 15mm. Nowadays the set back and use of wall starters solves that problem. I also think that those Tudors don't rub up as well as some bricks.
Not an excuse for that standard of work though.

Sponsored Links
I see an inner leaf, so a double skin wall.
But if he's not going up at the same time and not using ties, how the hell is gonna put them later?

He is using ties but not building the inner wall up at the same time!

Also the ground seems to be at the same level of dpc.
And that pointing...

You can get those brick in 73mm,it looks like they used 65mm and bedded up to match original,but i don't think the bricklayer? who built that would be capable to put it right. Get it taken down and rebuilt,your going to be the one looking at it every day with regrets and it's only a couple of hours work.

be fine. that’s why bricklayers aren’t important but plasterers are.:LOL:

You can get those brick in 73mm,it looks like they used 65mm and bedded up to match original,but i don't think the bricklayer? who built that would be capable to put it right. Get it taken down and rebuilt,your going to be the one looking at it every day with regrets and it's only a couple of hours work.
I found when I lived in the South East that most of the Imperial brickwork there was 2 5/8 x 4 1/8 x 8 5/8, which is smaller than other parts of the country(especially the North) where the 73mm brick(2 7/8) is more common.
For the smaller one you need one around 67mm. Do they do one in that size?
It look like he made the bottom joints a bit smaller as well which meant he had to bump up even more at the top.

Also wondering about the ties? How many bricks are you meant to have them going up. Attached a pic of both sides so you can see them.
Thanks everyone for all the reply’s so far.
3FE14E07-144F-4F67-B36B-F7B33B75FFF6.jpeg
448CB07F-8482-4299-B6B8-9C7D5A9E7F2D.jpeg
F054B157-5F17-4FEE-926D-3E433E3B32F5.jpeg
D4562E5B-618C-4446-A824-9E480988A470.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back