Advise on fittinga 6th rad to a microbore baxi bermudasystem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,,

Newbie here...can you take a goosies at this..:0)

I have a baxi bermuda back boiler running five radiators
Two small rads, two medium and a large one.Now I have flushed and drained the system, it seems to run well as I am unable to hold onto the bottom of the rads for long without being scolded..:0)
The system is 25 years old

I would like to add an extra bathroom/shower room rad which I am told needs to be large.

There is a plate on the fire front that says the system outputs 20,000 btu's.

To find out if I can successfully add another rad, do I just add the btu capacity of each rad to see if it is within the capacity of the system? Or do I have to take heat losses , pipe runs and all sorts of other factors into account just as much? It seems that the system would be able to cope.

Also, is there any way I can improve the efficiency of the back boiler by cleaning it out or something?The flame seems the right colour (mostly blue flame) but the system works o.k.

Any input would be most appeciated..

jg

Sponsored Links
I'm not up on this sort of thing but I think the plate you are talking about could be the rating of the fire in front of the back boiler.
It will on the same plate say PW2.
I might be wrong on this one though. Mine has 20.000btu on it as well.
I could do with a definative answer on this one too.

Tony

20,000 does relate to the fire not the boiler, it will be either a 401 or larger 552, the 401 has an input of >20kw (multiply by 3142 to give BTU's, so over 60,000) but the boiler will run 8-9 rads no prob, simply drain water side fit rad, refill and all should be well, it is unlikely the burner pressure will need to be increased to cope with the extra rad but it could be running on the limit of what it is set to, you will notice all the rads are coler than usual if it needs to be increased you will need an RGI to do this for you, why not get it serviced at the same time to ensure everything is ok,

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back