Affixing ceiling rose to ceiling (probably an easy one?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has been on my to do list for a while. My mum had my room replastered while I was studying abroad and when I came back the light fitting (the whole house was re-wired shortly prior) was like this. I've been meaning to affix it properly to the ceiling for a while. The problem is that there are holes in the plastic part that holds the wires (is that a junction box?) but there are no holes in the ceiling for me to screw it into. Could that be because they've been plastered over? What exactly am I meant to be able to screw into?

Click for larger versions.

Sponsored Links
The problem is that there are holes in the plastic part that holds the wires (is that a junction box?)
No, it's the base of a ceiling rose.

but there are no holes in the ceiling for me to screw it into. Could that be because they've been plastered over?
Seems likely.

What exactly am I meant to be able to screw into?
Usually ceiling roses are positioned just slightly over a joist, so that there's room for the cable to enter from the rear and the 2 screws go up into the joist. Or sometimes there's a noggin, or just a random piece of wood as a load spreader. Or sometimes people just screw into the plasterboard.

A trip into the loft or room above awaits you...

I've been meaning to affix it properly to the ceiling for a while. What exactly am I meant to be able to screw into?
As stated in BAS's post, there could well be a secure fixing timber point above the ceiling for the fitting, either joist, noggin or an additional supporting timber.
But this is not always true, I would suggest if possible some further investigation, if the space above is accessible. If no support s present you could install a timber across the two joists to offer this.
If this is not possible, piloting a hole in to ceiling, at the desired points often gives you a fair indication, whether timbers are above.
Alternative you could drill out for rawl plugs (6mm or 8mm) by using the ceiling rose plate as a guide for the holes (they should be pre-holed for fixing) then you will get a reasonable secure fixing to ceiling.
Just remember there are live cables up there and you don,t want to be drilling through them, so be careful.

As an alternative, you could use those nylon plasterboard fixings, which look like a fat plastic screw thread with a hole in the middle, they are screwed into a pilot hole in the ceiling, and the fixing screw is driven into the centre hole which serves as a guide.
My tip is to dip the sharp end of the nylon fixing into some clear waterproof adhesive, and then screw it into the plasterboard hole, the wet glue lubricates the thread when cutting its path in the plasterboard, but eventually sets hard, giving a really secure fixing that can't work loose.

Sponsored Links
faithfull-plasterboard-spring-toggle-m5-x-50-pack-of-4.jpg

The ceiling is made up by lath and plaster. I think it might be a good idea to attach a nogin between the two beams in the attic. Screws will then go through one of the lath peices and into the noggin. Sound ok? Can I use and peice of timber that I have laying around so long as it fits and is thick enough?

Fixing to a lath is generally ok for a pendant not carrying too much weight.

Fitting a noggin like you suggest would be much better though, and convenient should you wish to fit a heavier fitting in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back