Afghanistan -is leaving the right thing?

Sponsored Links
I’m a Brexxer, I can’t stand Trump and I'm not alone.

Trump to give him his fair due wasn't all bad but the way he dressed up a trillion dollar Tax cut for billionaires paid by the poorest does grate.

I disagreed with his domestic policies in general.

I still think it's the right thing for Uk, US, and NATO troops to leave the country and let them sort it out themselves.
Which it appears is about to happen.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58239156
It appears that the VP of Afghanistan has decided to stay and fight it out with the son of General Massoud - who looks the spitting image of his famous father - in the Panjshir Valley: The Russians tried seven times to take that area and failed every time. The Americans never really made the attempt and in the 90s Massoud used the valley to take the north east of the country and fight the Taliban to a standstill.
Tajikstan has refused to recognise the Taliban as a legitimate government and i'll be surprised if anyone else does: The last time they were in charge only three countries did recognise them: Pakistan; UAE; and the Saudi's.
History has a habit of repeating, doesn't it.

I’m a Brexxer, I can’t stand Trump and I'm not alone.

Yeah but WHY cant you stand Trump?

Because hes straight to the point? Opposes Americas endless wars? Doesnt want to p1ss away america wealth bombing other countries?

Sponsored Links
I still think it's the right thing for Uk, US, and NATO troops to leave the country and let them sort it out themselves.
Which it appears is about to happen.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58239156
It appears that the VP of Afghanistan has decided to stay and fight it out with the son of General Massoud - who looks the spitting image of his famous father - in the Panjshir Valley: The Russians tried seven times to take that area and failed every time. The Americans never really made the attempt and in the 90s Massoud used the valley to take the north east of the country and fight the Taliban to a standstill.
Tajikstan has refused to recognise the Taliban as a legitimate government and i'll be surprised if anyone else does: The last time they were in charge only three countries did recognise them: Pakistan; UAE; and the Saudi's.
History has a habit of repeating, doesn't it.

Well Russia, China, Iran, Pakistan and even Turkey are hinting they will recognise a Taliban government so attempts to isolate them look doomed to fail. This isnt 2001, a lot has changed in the time. Plus with 20 years of war these countries now know the West and US in particular have failed disastrously in Afghanistan, so it looks like the Taliban is here to stay.

I wouldnt pay too much attention to Ahmed Masood. His forces have already lost 3 strategic towns in the last 24 hours and are negotiating a surrender. Obviously the BBC and other western media are egging on a civil war with more bloodshed but its not going to happen.

I cant stand him because he is a disgusting liar

a narcissist, he is corrupt and has made lying a political win

But so are all politicians.

You think bush and bliar were honest as they took us to war in Iraq and Afghanistan based on complete lies?

You think Obomber was honest as he invaded snd destroyed libya, destabalised the rest of the middle east by egging on the arab spring and the bombing syria with the mess thats left?

But so are all politicians

whilst that is true on a simplistic level, one must look at the detail

Trump is a narcissistic pathological liar with zero integrity
he ran a campaign of hatred of foreigners, ramped up racism, damaged democracy by claiming the election was rigged.

sadly his brand of right wing populism has come over here with Johnson and his bunch of liars

I agree that Obama, Bush, Blair did lots wrong on foreign policy.

But so are all politicians.

You think bush and bliar were honest as they took us to war in Iraq and Afghanistan based on complete lies?

You think Obomber was honest as he invaded snd destroyed libya, destabalised the rest of the middle east by egging on the arab spring and the bombing syria with the mess thats left?
Blair and Camoron Blamed their decisions to attack Iraq and Libya on what they described as faulty intelligence.
The only faulty intelligence i can see is on the parts of those who swallowed those lies.

I think about the girls and young women there that have known nothing but the (slightly better but still better) freedoms of the last two decades. I personally think we (US/UK) could and should have kept a presence there for another 20 years or more to let those freedoms bed in more. Perhaps different if we'd gone 'in and out' 20 years ago but we didn't, we stayed. So because of that, although 20 years seems more than long enough, if you're trying to instigate longer lasting change, it isn't.

Someone on tv mentioned another country where the US has kept a presence for (60?) years. I think he said they have an aircraft carrier with circa 60 planes on it based there permanently. It's enough, along with whatever other measures are in place, to maintain peace.

On the one hand I agree the west can't be the world's police, however if we start something like Afghanistan we shouldn't have bailed out so suddenly. Yes, perhaps a degree of mayhem would have ensued even with a 6 month pre-planned and pre-communicated withdrawal process, however I don't think we'd have seen the scenes we've been seeing.

Sponsored Links
Back