Afraid to lay 20 tiles!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, a bit dramatic but I want to get it perfect 1st time.

The tiles are large format 600mm X 600mm floor tiles.

From my research a flat surface = success, so I decided to put down self levelling compound over the undertile cables.

The surface is level, although the compound has not created a totally flat surface.

I dry laid approx half of the tiles to see how the small variation affected how the tiles sat. What I noticed was some of the corners kicked up 1 - 3mm, not all the tiles but a few.

So the question (finally:cool: ) .....

Should I rely on losing these variations when I stick'um down (20mm U notch trowel (as per sticky))?

or plan b,

Go over the high spots with my orbital sander prior to laying and get them perfect pre-adhesive?

Sponsored Links
The flatter you can get your floor, the easier it will be to tile. If you can be bothered getting it better, then your finished job will be better too. For tiles that size, you ideally want it so that you can drop the tiles down dry and they'll be pretty much "bob on", then when you fix them down properly, you'll be asssured of a good job.

The flatter you can get your floor, the easier it will be to tile. If you can be bothered getting it better, then your finished job will be better too. For tiles that size, you ideally want it so that you can drop the tiles down dry and they'll be pretty much "bob on", then when you fix them down properly, you'll be asssured of a good job.

I'm inclined to sand down the high points, I don't want to look back on a less than perfect floor and I think, 'if only ......"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back