After a versatile tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm not a builder but a keen DIY'er. I am in the midst of doing much of my extension. The structure was built by the builder and I am doing most other tasks myself.

My cache of power tools includes a Bosch SDS drill with chisel action and a Makita drill/driver. These two have served me exceptionally well for the many tasks I have come up against.

Thinking ahead, I need to do the following:
- cut some newly laid plasterboard in the bathroom (not tiled yet) as it requires a dofferent shower fitting for the pipes inside. the point is that it needs to be a clean staright cut so that I can remedy the pipe and then repair the plasterboard

- Need to cut a couple of internal walls (built from the eggshell type structure as far as I am aware) to support new cupboard doors and an opening for a new door into the bedroom

- Need to cut a 270mm cavity wall to knock through to the extension. I'm not fussed if I can only do one leaf at a time

- Need to cut paving slabs for the patio area

Is there a single power tool that fits the bill here? I have something in mind but didn't want to taint your views.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The plasterboard I referred to is actually an aqua panel. Can I use the grinder on that too? Thanks for getting back to me

yep but be prepared it will be dusty. Mask and goggles on

Sponsored Links
The plasterboard I referred to is actually an aqua panel. Can I use the grinder on that too? Thanks for getting back to me

I wouldn't use a grinder for the aqua panel, it will make a right mess. You need a multi tool or a jigsaw if the panel is in situ.

How about if I use a stanley knife to scour the aqua panel and grinder for everything else? I'm trying to avoid having to purchase multiple tools...
Also, any advice on this as my grinder of choice?
upload_2016-3-9_15-20-49.png

A 9 inch grinder will cut slabs but it's hard going if you use a regular stone blade. Also bear in mind how thick your slabs (and your cavity wall) are in relation to how far the blade sticks out of the machine, ie the yellow bit of the blade in your picture - it gets smaller as the blade wears, to such an extent it won't reach the bottom of your cut. Using a diamond blade will cut stone much better and they only wear the thickness of the diamond tips, ie a few mm... but they're much more expensive.
FWIW I'd hire a stone saw complete with diamond blade for my slabs and my cavity wall.

Just to chuck my tuppence in a multi-tool is useful to have - get a cheapy one (amazon: von haus £30 inc p&p/lidl £30 etc) as you probably won't use it that much but for some jobs they are excellent e.g. plunge and flush cuts. Saxton blades off amazon are also pretty good or Toolstation do them for reasonable prices.

Sorry - to clarify I mean an oscillating multi-tool aka a rip-off of a Feinn Multi-Master

You will be there for h̶o̶u̶r̶s̶ days trying to cut aquapanel with a Stanley. If you want one tool to do all the jobs you mention then the 9" grinder is the one, but as we both said cutting aquapanel will be very dusty, any reason it can't be taken off and then cut

Thnaks for the advice guys. As for the grinder, any comments on the model I have proposed above? I appreciate that I wil need to buy suitable blades

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back