After the plumber...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plumber fixed a leak in the separation wall between my bathroom and kitchen a while ago.
To do this he had to cut away at a tile in the bathroom and dig out a bit of the wall to see the problem and to be able to use the cutters.
This has left me with an job to do to close the hole and tidy things up.
He told me to use plaster to fill out the hole as it was lime in the cement in the part of the wall near the pipes that had eroded the pipe in question and caused it to leak.
How should I fix the rest of the damaged area?
I don't want to replace the tile as don't have spare handy and would need to cut it again anyway to let the pipes pass.
Only as small portion of the missing area of tiling will show when i replace the boxing over the pipes. Most of the tile rests on brickwork.
What would be the customary way of dealing with this?
(I have kept the bits of tile that the plumber broke off)
Smooth broken edge of tile and fill missing area with plaster?
What would you suggest to a time-pressed householder?

Sponsored Links
How do I connect images to a message?
I've just opened an album and put a couple of picks in it but when I click on "Show My Images" it's telling me I haven't got one.

You could stick the bits of tile onto a piece of 3mm ply or similar - it will make a reasonable replacement.
Build up the edges of the hole - leaving enough edge for the 'tile' to adhere to.....a bit at a time. Leave the repaired pipe uncovered.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

Alternatively, I'm think about replacing the tile because it's a plain white tile and shouldn't be too difficult to find.

I would have to cut a portion out for the pipes. What would be the best way of doing this? If i'm not cutting a straight line all the way down the tile but cutting square or rectangular shape portion out from right edge of tile, would it be best using tile nippers?

Further, as I will be filling in the hole with plaster, the new tile would sit partly on brick and partly on plaster - would this be a problem? Can I just affix the tile to plaster on that part and use grout on the other part?

Again, if anyone can explain how to attach a pic to a message here that would be great, would help to show the job in question!

ach that didn't make sense...

adhesive under the tile, grout around the edges!
gripfill apparently best.

also got advice to use a tile saw at tile shop..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back