Afternoon all - Happy Friday. Looking for some Permissive Development clarity (bit of strange one).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at doing a side extension of around 25 SQm. It will not front a road and height restrictions are all good. However, our house has been extended previously (rearwards). So here is the situation & my questions:

- I am aware of the rule that states that the extensions must be no more than 50% of the total area surrounding my (detached) property.
- Our property is set back from the road. QUESTION: Can I include the area to the front of my property (up to boundary) in this calculation & also the areas at both sides?

- House was build in 1884 so I am aware that the rule states the 'original' plot is as it was on 1st July 1948. Since that time (in around 2000), the back garden was split with another property utlising that space as their garden. QUESTION: Do I include the plot size as it was in 1948 or as it was in 2000 as my calculation?

- QUESTION: Presuming that I am compliant with PD; can I instruct builders do start work or do I need to get a Certificate of Lawfulness and/or inform the Council?

Sponsored Links
Why not ask your local planning dept? Surely they will give you the right info?

Sponsored Links
Looking at doing a side extension of around 25 SQm. It will not front a road and height restrictions are all good. However, our house has been extended previously (rearwards). So here is the situation & my questions:

- I am aware of the rule that states that the extensions must be no more than 50% of the total area surrounding my (detached) property.
- Our property is set back from the road. QUESTION: Can I include the area to the front of my property (up to boundary) in this calculation & also the areas at both sides?

- House was build in 1884 so I am aware that the rule states the 'original' plot is as it was on 1st July 1948. Since that time (in around 2000), the back garden was split with another property utlising that space as their garden. QUESTION: Do I include the plot size as it was in 1948 or as it was in 2000 as my calculation?

- QUESTION: Presuming that I am compliant with PD; can I instruct builders do start work or do I need to get a Certificate of Lawfulness and/or inform the Council?

Not an expert but my understanding and experience of an approved PD Lawful Development Certifiicate is as follows:

QUESTION: Can I include the area to the front of my property (up to boundary) in this calculation & also the areas at both sides?

My curtilage calculation was expressed as the area the entire current plot as is, back, sides and front

QUESTION: Do I include the plot size as it was in 1948 or as it was in 2000 as my calculation?

The 1948 applies to the original building ("dwelling" -including outbuildings as at 1948

QUESTION: Presuming that I am compliant with PD; can I instruct builders do start work or do I need to get a Certificate of Lawfulness and/or inform the Council?

Whether you need a certificate is more to do with the total scale of the build and how close you are to neighbours. It is a requirement when you are between the 4m/8m rear extension as neighbour consultation is mandated. It is an extra expense but it will give you peace of mind. In my (very limited) experience, builders are (rightlly) wary about quoting and or committing to work if there are any planning issues hanging over a job

Regards

Tet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back