Air Lock in Mixer Shower

fingers crossed then :LOL: but did you close off mains cold to loft tank ? I ask again, as if you did ,and drained out the cold ,when putting stopcock back on Any sediment loosened will possibly partially block the inlet valve to the loft tank ,causing it to fill slowly or not fully. this may explain the low level in the loft tank. if the loft tank starts to empty as hot water is drawn off ,and is not being replenished fast enough ,air will enter the pipework via the outlets in the loft tank ..its a possibility.

Sponsored Links
Hi, no I did not turn off the stop cock or drain out any cold water whilst working on the leak on the hot pipe. I'll look into why the loft tank is so low on water but my feeling is that the float valve has been set low due to the difficulty in accessing the tank.

It's not possible to see into it, but if I poke a stick into it it does seem low, only about a third full.
Terry has mentioned the water level in that loft storage tank,if the water level is one third from the bottom with the piped supply to the hot cylinder (hot tapping should be higher than the cold water supply) there could be partial water starvation to the hot.

The tank water level needs checking and all the valves need to be fully on,sometimes gate valves appear fully on but the gate could be partially open.

Its been mentioned due to the tank position its difficult to look into it,there are many like that (n).Sometimes a piece of cord with a weight can be gently lowered into the bottom of the tank then removed and the wet edge on the cord will identify the water level.

if the tank has the correct amount of water in it and all the valves are 100% open,you could give the plastic pipes a gentle wiggle with the pump running as air could trapped there.

A garden hose connected to the mains could be used to back fill into the hot tap,you will need to adapt the end of the hose and hold it in position,you will get a very cold hands and often very wet :!:

Good luck (y)

I'm so happy the shower is working again. It's the best shower I've ever had by a mile so was gutted when I broke it. The cold water tank is fine now too, it's 75% full.

Sponsored Links
Yeah all good since making sure all gates were fully open. Thanks Terry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back