Air vent under stair - help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, it's a typical 1920s mid terrace 2 bedroom house, under the stairs is an air vent, but where the hell would it go?

Had a problem with flies recently and wondering if something is in there from wherever the other end is..

Anyone know?

Attached image shows what I mean.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 810
Sponsored Links
I assume that there is no sign of this on the outside wall, then.

Is there a "half-landing" at the bottom of the staircase?

The grille could just be covering a hole that vents into the under-floor space?

No to both - it's literally behind the bottom of the stairs. Previous owners had a drier in there I think but still makes no sense to me.

In that photo, behind the left wall is our neighbours house, right is our dining room and behind is just a standard staircase.

In a straight line to outside you just get the front door, path then pavement.

Sponsored Links
Could it, like you said just lead to under the floors then?

Living room/dining room is knocked through with half quarry tiles, half original wood floor. Vent cover looks fairly new (no older than 5-10) years and I know the floors were fixed up in that time. I guess they would need some sort of ventilation.

Bet that's a nightmare for rats/mice dying down there.

It may not "go" anywhere.

But from the position of the grille, I would say the other side of it is somewhere under the staircase.

Possibly, though it looks/seems pointless.

From the age of the house I assume that sort of space was normally used as a pantry.

Google doesn't seem to have any decent answers!

If it is your house, why not investigate yourself?

Start by removing the grille and go from there.

Perhaps someone has fitted it because they had damp/condensation in the cupboard, rising from under the floor and it's just an attempt to let the house breath more.

Might have been the "tidy up" any hole made by the previous, through which they ran the tumble drier vent pipe?

I know any right-minded person on here would know the folly of venting tumble drier exhaust anywhere other than outside, but the previous occupants might not have been so right-minded.

Certainly, the previous occupants of my current house merely vented the shower extract straight into the loft. Much damp and growth enjoyed the conditions, until I found it, and rectified the bodge........

Possibly, though it looks/seems pointless.

From the age of the house I assume that sort of space was normally used as a pantry.
!
Won't be a pantry - they are on an outside wall with solid floor and even a concrete shelf
,even up to 1960's:notworthy:

Thanks everyone. Bodge job by previous owners seems very realistic- there was a lot of that to fix!

Sponsored Links
Back