Aircraft on a conveyor

trazor said:
The conveyor REACTS to wheel movement, wheel movement is caused by FORWARD movement of the plane, so the only way the conveyor can ever move is if the plane moves FORWARD.

Now THAT is a very valid argument - and it's one that will lead us into several pages of mathematical argument about limits if we aren't very careful. :!: :!: :!: Yes, you're right. The plane must move an INFINITESIMAL distance forward if the conveyor is to react. The best I can say is that you can make that distance so small that you will not be able to measure it while simultaneously ensuring that the plane is stationary (Heisenberg uncertainty principle).

Do you think that an infinitesimal movement of free wheeling wheels, will negate the effect of 16 tons of thrust through 4 jet engines........... :eek:

Imagine the aircraft suspended 6" above the conveyor on wires fixed to pulleys on a very long giant gantry, so that it can move along quite freely.

When the engines fire up it will start to accelerate, lets say to 50 mph, where it maintains that speed
Do you think by lowering it down to touch the conveyor, that the free wheeling wheels will have any braking effect...........??

Sponsored Links
I thought the same. I reckon if you nailed the wheels of a jumbo to the
floor then let the equivelent of 120,000 bhp rip, it'd still shift forwards a bit.

Put a great big fan at the end of the runway giving you instant lift, fire up the engines and your away.Simple.

Sponsored Links
Back