Airlock on cold water tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help by advising how I can cure an airlock on my kitchen mixer tap when I turn on the cold water?

Sponsored Links
This is a curious one, because the kitchen mixer should be fed from the mains. Alternatively it will be via a water softener, but even so it will be at mains pressure.

Why do you think you have an airlock?

When I turn on the cold tap I get water coming out in spurts almost as if there is air in the system. So I assumed an airlock. All other taps are fine.

What is the source of cold water? Do you have an unvented cylinder, or is it a direct mains pipe?

Sponsored Links
If it has a flexi pipe feeding it then it could be that it is kinked.
An airlock in a mains fed cold water pipe is rarer than rocking horse poo

Steve Pep said:
When I turn on the cold tap I get water coming out in spurts almost as if there is air in the system. So I assumed an airlock. All other taps are fine.
How long do you have to run the tap until the spurting stops?

How old is the tap?

Tap is 4 years old.

Spurting stops if I adjust the water flow rate, so I am guessing that it is related to the tap being connected to the mains supply and the water hitting the gauze at the end of the tap.

If it's just started this then somthing has changed. If the tap is a true mixer & not a bi-flow tap the there may be check valves on the supply pipe to prevent back syphonage. the rubber o ring seals may be caucing this. They are about 40mm long & look like a coupling that connects the tap tails to the hot & cold water pipes.Only a guess. do u have all copper pipe or plastic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back