Alarm Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can advise as ive dropped a bit of a clanger!

Recently bought my first house and in the process of decorating the hall and came to doing some prep work in there tonight. There are 4 wires (red, black, blue & yellow) sticking out from the silicone sealing around the front PVC door frame and then up on the wall by the ceiling was a rather grubby small white box.

Being a bit of a novice I made an assumption that this was some kind of old doorbell that just hadn't been rewired up with a button when the PVC door had been put in. Based on the fact I wasn't bothered about having a doorbell I proceeded to take the old white box off the wall and was going to then fill the holes in etc ready to paint over. Plan was to just push the wires that were coming out of the wall behind the box (same coloured 4 as by the door) into the hole in the wall and fill it in but because there was a decent amount of wire I decided to cut it down first.

Upon doing so the (previously unused) burglar alarm started going off so unfortunately this grubby white box appears to be some kind of internal speaker for the alarm rather than a disused doorbell!

Fortunately there is still enough wire left for me to hopefully wire it back up as it was but I can't totally remember how it was wired!

I know the blue and yellow wires from the wall were definitely wired via plastic terminal connectors to the 2 wires coming out of the speaker.

The red and black wire from the wall then just went into a separate one of these plastic terminal connectors and not connected to anything else in the box but I cant remember how. Can't remember if both wires went in one end of the connector, one in each end etc. I know when touching these wires it seems to activate the alarm again so I am guessing they are some kind of tamper wires.

Can anyone suggest how these might have been wired into this plastic connector and/or if it matters?

And before anyone says it yes I know I am probably a bit of an idiot with this but it has been a long week and having not even attempted to use the alarm yet since I moved in I just didn't think this box would be anything to do with it!

Don't even know if I will use the alarm that much but would be nice to have it back in one piece to at least have the option!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think you'd be better adding some pictures, as it's kind of difficult to determine what it is you are looking at. Normally installers will wire red and black as a power supply and blue and yellow as the contact or tamper, but it could be wired totally differently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back