Alarm PIR and door contact share +tive and -tive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've run some 8 core cable to PIRs and door contacts. In a couple of areas the PIRs and contacts are close to one another, so I ran a single 8 core to cover both. The PIR is 6 wire, the contacts are 4 wire.

Can I share a positive and negative between a PIR and a contact, then use the 4 cores for the PIR and the last 2 for the contact giving each a separate zone?

Sponsored Links
You don't have 12V and 0V in a contact, just 2 cores for the contact loop and two for tamper.

So your 8 core is:

12V
0V
Tamper
Tamper
2 x PIR circuit loop
2 x Contact circuit loop

Personally, I run an individual cable to each point, thus having no joints out in the field - everything is accessible back at the panel.

Sponsored Links
It is best to have separate cables to each device.

If you are using 6 of your 8 cores to the PIR (or all 6 cores of a 6 core cable), you could use resistors and free up two more cores.

It is better to use resistors on the Premier 24 as it only has two zone terminals, this way you can get tamper and alarm activation for the zone rather than alarm activation and a global tamper.

Use resistors in your door contacts you have will have tampers and alarm activations for them also on a single zone.

If you have no spare cores at all, ie using 4 core, then you would need to wire the devices in series and have both the contacts and the PIR's on the same zone. This cant be done for some pirs that use TEOL. or use an 8XP and use the 4 cores that were going to the pir to go to the expander, take it out of the panel zone and wire it to the network, and use the expander to wire in the devices to separate zones.

More than one way to do this some are better than others, it depends on what you have to work with, your budget and how comfortable you are with your wiring/ programming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back