Alexa - remote application

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Briefly - elderly relative, kitted him out with a Kindle Fire so he can read bible and other things on magnifier that I upload when I visit. He can no longer see the screen and is asking about audio playback, he likes to select what he listens to but can't see very well and doesn't have dexterity to operate controls very well. No broadband at the moment and Kindle periodically dies because it needs some update or other....

I'm thinking about getting him connected back to broadband and going for an Alexa.

My theory is (I live a long way away), reinstate broadband, set it up in person, enable the "Bible skills", login myself to it remotely through the web interface to do any management tasks etc. Will this work if all that he needs is to call up bits of the bible and listen to news headlines and perhaps some radio through tune in?

I understand that to send messages and to make calls he'll probably need a smart phone on the network. I don't think I would do this however I like the look of the Echo Show as it would be great be able to do video chat. What could I have running in the background to achieve this?

I'm rapidly learning that unless it has a big green button or a big red button it won't be possible to 'train' its use, however I think they would love voice control.

thoughts and ideas greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back