Alfa disc pad change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to change the rear pads on my wifes 147 but the piston will not budge. It is a long time since I changed pads so how do I move them enough to get the pads ion?
Any advise would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hello mivec, the first thing to find out is to check whether the caliper is still working or seized up, jack up the car and spin the wheel and then get somebody to press the brakes, if every thing is OK the have a look at the caliper and ascertain how many pistons it has, if it has one piston have a look at the face that presses onto the pad. If the piston has 2 cutouts then the piston has to be pushed and screwed back with a special tool. If you can't get a tool you can turn the piston with a pair of water pump pliers or vise grips, and press it at the same time, be careful not to damage the caliper rubber. You will find it slow going but better than nothing. I hope this helps.
regards johnwr

johnwr said:
Hello mivec, the first thing to find out is to check whether the caliper is still working or seized up, jack up the car and spin the wheel and then get somebody to press the brakes, if every thing is OK the have a look at the caliper and ascertain how many pistons it has, if it has one piston have a look at the face that presses onto the pad. If the piston has 2 cutouts then the piston has to be pushed and screwed back with a special tool. If you can't get a tool you can turn the piston with a pair of water pump pliers or vise grips, and press it at the same time, be careful not to damage the caliper rubber. You will find it slow going but better than nothing. I hope this helps.
regards johnwr

Thanks John. will give iot a try.

Sponsored Links
Back